Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

That poor poor 16 month old boy ** w/ article**

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:39 AM
  • 34 Replies

So we have all heard what happened to that poor little boy. My heart is still hurting for his family cause i just think, all he wanted was his mommy. he was scared and in pain, so he found all his favorite things, and passed away by himself. I was bawling after work just picturing my own son and i just dont understand how someone could do that. then lie about it. ugh makes me sick. i told my bf about it and he said that if that ever happened to blake, he would kill them. i told him that you wouldnt get the chance to cause i would have already gotten ahold of them. and id be in jail. and that i will go hungry before i put my heart, my soul, my everything into daycare. it is way too risky now a days.

When 16-month-old Benjamin Kingan died suddenly after being at a Lincolnshire day care facility Wednesday, the family and police thought it was a seizure or something congenital. The devastated family put death notices in newspapers and arranged a funeral for Saturday as friends and family came in from out of town to bury the boy.

But that funeral was canceled after an autopsy by the Lake County coroner determined Benjamin was the victim of a homicide -- allegedly fatally injured when a day care worker who was supposed to be caring for him grew frustrated and threw the boy to the floor, causing massive trauma to his skull.

» Click to enlarge image
Bond for Melissa M. Calusinski was set at $5 million Saturday. Calusinski is charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the death of 16-month-old Benjamin Kingan, authorities said.
(Courtesy)

The boy, who has a twin sister, died later that afternoon at Condell Medical Center in Libertyville.

"It is even more tragic than we originally thought," said Lincolnshire Police Chief Randy Melvin. "Our initial investigation seemed to indicate that it was natural causes, or possibly something congenital. Further investigation revealed ... the infant had suffered a severe fracture to the top of the head."

On Saturday, a Lake County judge ordered 22-year-old teacher's assistant Melissa M. Calusinski, of Carpentersville, held on $5 million bond. She was charged with first-degree murder after she allegedly gave videotaped statements implicating herself.

The boy's death while in the care of a well-regarded day care facility "shocked'' not only his Deerfield family but friends and co-workers. The family had sent its other children -- the boy also has two older siblings -- to the center, Minee Subee in the Park, which police said had no previous complaints against it.

"There aren't words for this,'' said Rebecca Darr, executive director of WINGS, the domestic violence shelter where the boy's mother, Amy, worked. "To lose a baby, it's just heart-wrenching.''

Minee Subee attorney Matt Walsh said Saturday that Calusinski has been placed on administrative leave and "will not be returning to the facility pending resolution of this matter.''

"Student safety is of paramount concern at Minee Subee, and we are cooperating fully with the investigation,'' Walsh said in a statement.

That same message is on the center's Web site, which boasts, "Drop your child off each day knowing that she/he will always be safe within the walls of [the] facility.''

The accused, on her MySpace page, said she loved her job at Minee Subee. "I love it there ... I love kids alot, I babysit for five boys, they're like my little brothers lol ..." Calusinski wrote.

The center, at 500 Marriott Dr. since 1994, is licensed to care for up to 145 children ranging in age from 6 weeks to 12 years old, state officials said.

On Wednesday, there were seven other children and another adult in the room with Benjamin and Calusinski, who had worked there for more than a year, police said.

Shortly after 3 p.m., Calusinski became upset, police said.

"She told investigators she was having some issues with the children in the room,'' said Lincolnshire police investigator Adam Hyde. They "were making noise, things like that. She just lost her temper and then threw the child down."

The other worker in the room didn't see it happen, police said.

After being thrown, the boy was actually able to grab a blanket and crawl to a bouncy chair, police said. Later, Calusinski "realized he was unresponsive and called for help,'' Hyde said.

Center staff attempted CPR and called 911 at 3:51 p.m., less than a half hour after the incident, police said. Benjamin was pronounced dead at the hospital an hour later.

Lake County Coroner Richard Keller said the boy's ability to crawl afterward isn't unusual, as it takes time for swelling and bleeding in the brain to reach fatal levels.

"These injuries are not immediately fatal,'' he said.

The autopsy found no outward signs of injury; the bruising was under Benjamin's skin, Keller said.

News of the death Wednesday, which came while his mother was at work, where she oversees clinical programs that help more than 1,000 women and children a year, "hit everybody hard,'' Darr said. "We are a pretty close-knit organization.''

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brandonlauren
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:40 AM

Ive not even heard about it, what happened?

jbhaleyrn
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:41 AM

I haven't heard about it either!!

sparkyskitten
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:42 AM

same here what?!?

Quoting brandonlauren:

Ive not even heard about it, what happened?

expecting boyMarch 2009. We already have a great toddler girl July 2006.

Don't complain about life if you're not willing to get off your ass and do something to change it.

Group Admin Breastfeeding Moms Uncensored

danigurl9999
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:42 AM

yeah what happened?

sdolly
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:43 AM

havent heard about it but it sounds awful

TXMOM1980
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:44 AM

confused what are you talking about it?

orcadarwin
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:45 AM

Haven't heard a word about it.  All they are reporting on the news is yesterday's big event.

VegasMagic
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:46 AM

which story r u referring to? this sounds vaguely familiar...please DONT get me wrong -Ive just heard SO much lately.

Kchambers
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:48 AM

By Ben Bradley Murder charges have been filed against a 22-year-old suburban day care worker whom police say admitted to throwing a 16-month-old boy in her care to the ground. Benjamin Kingan parents had trusted the staff at the Minee Subee Day Care Center, but Wednesday afternoon, police say a teacher's assistant, 22-year-old Melissa Calusinski, became so frustrated she threw him to the ground. "She told investigators she was having issues with children in the room. The children were making noise and things like that. She just lost her temper and threw the child down," said Adam Hyde of the Lincolnshire Police Department. Police say 16-month-old Benjamin of Deerfield, at first, showed no outward signs of injury. He crawled across the room, picking up a blanket and toy along the way, before climbing into a bouncy chair and eventually losing consciousness. "The injuries are not immediately fatal. The injury to the head causes swelling and damage to the brain which takes time to cause the child to become unresponsive," said Lake County Coroner Dr. Richard Keller. A total of eight children were in the room at the time the incident happened, along with two adults. The other day care staff member told police she did not see the incident. Calucinski is the one first noticed Benjamin wasn't breathing and summoned help. An autopsy revealed the child suffered a fractured skull and bleeding near the brain. "A child falling ever from the height of a shoulder in and of itself would not do this sort of damage to the brain or cause the skull to fracture. It takes basically a much higher fall or an adult exerting pressure on the child as they are thrown to the floor," Keller said. Calusinski is being held in the Lake County Jail on $5 million bond.

I posted this yesterday... sad

Karina

Proud Air Force Wife, Boricua, Pa' Que Tu Lo Sepas!!!. Breastfeeding, Vaxing, Spanking, CIO, Co-Sleeping, Circumsizing, Pro-Choice, Extremely Liberal, Recycling, Animal Lover Mother Of 2 and 1 On The Way!!!

shajdinyak
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Gosh that is why We dont send DD to daycare.  FinaciallY I should b working but we make ou self get by

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)