Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

kids staying home...I need help! POLL

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:41 AM
  • 20 Replies

Poll

Question: Is it ok for my 11 and 13 yr old to stay home for a few hours while im away at a birthday party about an hour away?

Options:

yes, its ok

no, they are too young

other, please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 47

View Results

My kids are 11 and just turned 13I leave them home alone for a couple hours on occassion but I am always not too far away and they have my parents to call too if they had an emergency.I still dont like it!LOL

Anyways my fiance and I were invited to a birthday party about an hour away.I dont feel comfortable being that far away.Plus my parents are gone on a cruise.Am I being silly?.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:44 AM

I picked other.  If you're not comfortable doing it then don't do it.  They're your kids, you know them better than we do.  Say you go to the party, reluctantly.  The whole time you're there, you'll be wondering about them and thinking about them, possibly calling them, the whole time.  You won't have any fun.  Just do what YOU feel is right.  Maybe have them stay at your parents house and hang out there or vice versa.  They can take care of themselves, you just don't feel comfortable with them doing it alone.

~Jill~

Donnafmsbee
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:45 AM

IMO if you can't bring the kids with you to the party, I wouldn't be going or I'd be looking for someone to stay with them. An hour away is too far if something happens and they're alone.

In Darkest Hours Before Dawn, Beware What Lurks In The Shadow's Of The Dungeon ...
linda4
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:45 AM

I am a firm believer in go with your gut feeling. If you don't feel comfortable with it then I say don't do it.

steffiestylist
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:46 AM

At 11 and 13, I'd say yes...but it depends on their maturity.  I am a sah wah mom, so I'm always home...lol..  Not sure when and if I'll ever be faced with this....

skinnyminnie121
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:48 AM

I have a fifteen, ten and 8 yr old. I began the process of letting the oldest babysit very slowly. First it was just 5 minutes (seriously) while I ran to the circle k. Then maybe 20 when I ran to the grocery store for a couple items.

I think an hour away didn't begin until he was about 14 and a half and I had already left them about 20 times for just a few minutes at a time.

I wouldn't just take off the first time for a couple hours. Anything could happen. I'd rather iron out wrinkles when I'm only gone for 10 minutes than to be over an hour away and have something major happen that I'm going to regret. JMO

RottenFifteener
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:49 AM

I think to properly answer this question we'd have to know your kids.  Some thirteen year-olds are probably responsible and mature enough for that--and some would go crazy with freedom.  But if you aren't comfortable with that, don't do it.

Staceyj740

I would make sure they have a neighbor or some other adult they can call if something does go wrong. I say this since you will be an hour away. Different States have different ages allowed for this as well, you may need to check into that. Here, 13 is acceptable but I think the age is 14 to babysit another child.....just make sure your bases are covered. Not knowing the law has never held up as a defense in court..hehe.

BoxerMomma

I don't think I would go an hour away unless I had someone really close "on call".  Is it going to be at night or during the day?

Razzle_Dazzle30
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:50 AM

I'm not voting in this because it's completely irrelevant.  If you feel uncomfortable leaving your kids like that, then you shouldn't do it no matter what anyone else says.

sunshinemommy08
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:52 AM

How mature are your kids? Do you think they can handle it? Personally that's what I'd go by. I mean most kids at that age can be alone for a couple hours.

Are you due in September 2009? That join my group: Due in September 2009

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)