Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When do you start teaching a child to read?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:50 AM
  • 24 Replies

I was talking with my mom this weekend during our visit at her house about my 3 yo dd.  She tried telling me that I should be using my 6 yo sons 1st grade reading books from school and using them to teach my 3 year old to read.  I told her that I did not agree with that at all which did not go over very well :)   My 3 dd can count, recite her alphabet and knows the sounds of most of her letters.  I read to my dd almost everyday and we play a lot together, we color, do puzzles and she also goes to preschool 2 days a week.

I am wondering when you ladies started to teach your kids to read or did you just teach them the basics? 

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:54 AM

I have two toddlers and i really want to buy that your baby can read program.. They showed a nine month old reading on the infomercial.. and a three year old reading a book out loud to his mom.. So the infomercial sold me.. I totally want to try it.. i think the website is but i may be wrong..

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:56 AM

At birth. Seriously, just read to your children. They will pick it up from watching you...

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:57 AM

We read to my dd so she'll pick it up when she's ready.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:58 AM

my name is nicky and i have a 3yr old as well. i dont know the answer or what is best for your child but what i do is. she has options  she has books for toddlers and then there are her 8 yr old brothers books. i try to help her but i kkinda just let her make up herown stories .. then i will read the book wih her. i can only say that you are her mother and you know what is best .. trust your motherly instincts ..

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:58 AM

You can start teaching them from very early on.  I want to invest in the "Your baby can read" program.  It's $200 but well worth it in my opinion.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:00 AM

I did with each of my kids what you are doing with your 3yr.  The true learning to read came when they hit K.  Except for my youngest who is almost 5yr she is actually in pre-k this year and is learning some reading-but it is more of her name and see an item with the word attached and realizing that is how it is spelling.

by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:01 AM

As a former Kindergarten teacher I can tell you that kids learn to read a lot younger than they used to.  Reading is a process and learning letters is a beginning stage of reading, then learning the sounds they make, then putting the sounds together to make words.  So, if your child is learning her letters, she is in the beginning stages of learning to read.  Just keep building on what she knows and before you know it she'll be reading.  But, I'd say 5ish is the ideal time to "read"

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:02 AM

my DD is only 10months but we have been reading to her since the day she came home from the hospital in the hopes that she learns to love to read and picks it up quickly!

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:03 AM

Well, I started reading to my kids all as soon as I became pregnant, and I don't believe they were actually ready to sit down and learn any words until about 4, if my memory serves me correctly.  But like your little one, by that time, they  knew their letters, colors, shapes etc.  so they  had a basic foundation for what they were looking at.  I think you are doing everything right mama, and some kids even at 4 sometimes don't have a desire to even sit down to read, but others will.  They all learn at their own pace and I think you just have to give them the opportunity to try it out, and see what they do.  Persistence and patience pays off! No worries, you rock mama!

baby girlplaying soccerice cream

lala's mommie

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:04 AM

The worst thing you can do is try and force reading before the child is ready. I am a teacher and I see that alot. I've had parents call me and ask for the 1st grade vocabulary list because they have a preschooler at home and they want them to know all of the words before they get to Kindergarten. I understand that these parents want their child to have a head start and that's ok, but by pushing too much the child will get turned off to reading, be bored with school and start becoming a behavior problem and those are the LAST things we want to happen. Just let your child be a child and she will learn when she ready. =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)