Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I kind of feel bad for Barack Obama *Edit*

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:01 AM
  • 73 Replies

Am I the only one that thinks that there is sooo much hype around him and so much hope for what he can/will do for our country that he can't possibly live up to everyone's expectations?  Some people think he's going to take away all their worries and troubles and they will live in utopia.  How can he live up to that?  IMO, he's set up for failure.

Edit- Just as we put too much hope in our new president I also think we put too much blame on the old one.   I know he didn't do everything right, and I certainly disagreed with some of the things he did but I think people want a scape goat for decisions they made, and he is it.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmyNB
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:03 AM
I think exactly the same thing! He's got the faith of nearly everyone in the country. Not only is he bound to fail (even if he actually doesn't -- it's all about perception) we're all bound to be disappointed. It's a lot pressure to put on one man.
babyjet07
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Yeah I noticed that a lot of people are like yes he is going to be great ugh you dont really know that........we can just HOPE he will bring change and do some good.

michelle6_10
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Exactly!  People (in general) are never completely satisfied, especially when they look to someone else to fix their problems.

Quoting AmyNB:

I think exactly the same thing! He's got the faith of nearly everyone in the country. Not only is he bound to fail (even if he actually doesn't -- it's all about perception) we're all bound to be disappointed. It's a lot pressure to put on one man.

bxbsmommy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:06 AM

Well he already said it will be hard for him to do everything. I don't feel bad for him, but I just hopes he gets some things done.

c_boerman
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:06 AM

My husband and I were just discussing this last night as well.  A lot of people think that he will and can resolve a lot of the major issues with the snap of his fingers.  What they don't understand is it will take A LOT of time and will not happen overnight.  I mean 4 years isn't a lot of time either. 

Razzle_Dazzle30
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:07 AM

Yes indeedy!  But from what I've seen it's mostly those unwilling to get in and get their hands dirty that put the most dependence on him...for example that female in the YouTube video that gets posted a lot who's talking about how she's going to get all her stuff paid for now.  Those who have patience and work to help him out will be pleased.

kittynala
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:07 AM

DH and I were having this same discussion last night.  I agree with you on this.

Quoting AmyNB:

Kingstons_Mom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:08 AM

I think you're overestimating the infatuation the American people have with our 44th President. Because of everything Obama has inherited from the previous 8 years, I think people will let a lot slide. It won't take a year to fix what's wrong, it won't even take 4 years to do so. Even Obama himself has said that. The expectations may be high, but I think the American people will be more forgiving of him when he can't reach certain goals within a certain time period.

godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Quoting babyjet07:

Yeah I noticed that a lot of people are like yes he is going to be great ugh you dont really know that........we can just HOPE he will bring change and do some good.

bcarmona
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:08 AM

I don't feel bad for Barack Obama, he's already made his *disclaimer* statements.  I feel bad for the people who put so much hope on him.  When it boils down to it, he is a man...bound for imperfection.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)