Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

? About a Collection letter

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:11 AM
  • 7 Replies

I received this letter from a collection company for a bill with Att& mobility.  for $366. I am like what  I have never used AT&T mobility.   I did have Cingular a long time ago for a year contract  way before it was AT&T  like over 5 years  but I paid my bill every month and I have never had a cell phone bill over $100 so I have no idea where this is coming from.   My question is this what can I do?  Do  I call the company and say this can't be me.    Shoot even if this was me why wait over 5 years to contact me. 

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
alabamahapywife
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Call them & dispute the bill....

SuznF72
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:13 AM

well you need to contact someone.  Just be careful what info you give out...always be aware of the possible scam!

bookwriter4kids

definately call!  Don't agree to pay unless they can provide accurate info that it's you.  Chances are it's a mistake.

Juann25

Quoting alabamahapywife:

Call them & dispute the bill....

Crystallynn

I would call the company.  They may have the wrong person, but if you dont dispute it then you are pretty much telling them that it is yours.  Have you checked your credit report?  It should be on there as well if it is yours.

steffiestylist

Check your credit report first, for free....look for discrepancies.  Then if there is something contact them and let them know that 5 years is beyond the statute of limitations for collection.  Whatever you do, until you know for sure, don't give out personal info......socials or anything....could be a phishing scam...

2boysMoma
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:14 AM

I'd call, see if they have the right ss#.  But don't give them yours.  I'd also check your credit report.  You can get it at annualcreditreport.com for free.  I've been thru this myself and it really can mess things up if you don't take care of it right away.

MyHotComments.comMyHotComments
I'm the candle lady! Check out my profile for more info!
Help a working Momma out....LOL!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)