Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't know how much more i can take!!!

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:47 AM
  • 7 Replies

OK I don't know how much more of this i can take!! I am trying to potty train my two year old( he will be three this summer) and we aren't getting anywhere!! i know he knows what the potty is and what we do on the potty he just refuses to go!! I have tried everything( without making him do it and risk him being scared) well now he won't even let us change his diapers!! he screams and thrashes around like we are trying to beat him!!! which in return since he won't let us change him( and he will hide and not come near us when he needs changed...we have to check him and then chase him down) he is starting to get a rash...( he had a rash a few months before we started PT that we had to get a script for and it finally went away)ugh i just hate having to chase him down and then hold him down to change a freakin diaper!!! he thrashes so much i have to almost use all of my strength to hold him down!! i am terrified i will accidentally hurt him trying to hold him  down to change him!! Any advice on what i can do ladies?? sorry so long and thanks for reading i hope all of you have a wonderful day!!! take care!

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ldsdragonmom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:51 AM

I have been trying with my son also.  He will be 3 in April.  We sit him on the potty and he will sit there for ever and won't go.  We try running the water, sticking his hands or foot in the warm water.  Nothing works.  He doesn't mind me changing him though.  I hope it will work out for you soon.  Sorry I have no ideas but I hope my post helped because I bumped it up for you.

boy n girlCohen April 2006 and Makayla July 2003

expecting boy Brandon due April of 09!

McKennasmom03
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Hi. Wow he is really giving you a hard time. This is how I trained mine. When they wake up they are naked from the waste down. And I give them plenty to drink all day. Make sure he is introduced to his potty chair. Sitting on it and playing around it for a few days.Lots of rewarding. Over rewarding. LOL. Every half hour or so sit on potty to do a pee. Lots of praise and rewards. What does he like or will respond to. Some stickers or m & ms or skittles. That is what I used. Do the waste down naked for about a week. I know its a pain not to be able to leave the house but it really gets into their head this way.As the day gets later give less and less drinks. After dinner cut off all drinks and have them keep using the potty until bed. I put plastic down on my lo's bed and never used a diaper at night. And get up in the night to take lo potty. Keep the potty by him at all times. And do a dance and sing when he does go. Like I said LOTS of praise. Good luck.

aidensmom1117
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:57 AM

I'm sorry mama! My son is only 14 months, so I really don't know yet (and I'm kind of not looking forward to it) maybe he just isn't ready!
But since I really don't know, I will BUMP!

Juann25
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:01 AM

I had the hardest time with my son until I read on here from another mommy to let him run around naked. Crazy right ?! Well I figured ... what do I have to loose ? So we did. he ran around this house naked for about 3 weeks and every time he had to go potty he ran straight to the bathroom and went. After that I was nervous to put clothes back on him, but he did great. Try it. It might work and it might not, but what do you have to lose. Good Luck !

Kerfuffle
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Take the diaper off in the morning and leave it off. That is what I did with my son. The first few days to - weeks (sometimes) are full of accidents....  so if you have a white carpet this may be difficult.  I left the potty out in whatever room he was in the most. Every so often I would ask him to sit on it and try to go.

I also got a potty movie. I put the potty infront of the tv and had him sit on it to watch the special movie. It inspired him.  ;-)  lol

Kellileanne
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Ok, I don't have a child potty training age yet but this is what we had to do with my nephew.  Just to get him to sit on the potty chair was a fight so we started giving prizes just when he would sit on it (clothed or not).  Then when he would go sit on it by himself we did more prizes.  Then we finally got to the actual potty training part.  Every time he would say he needed to go was a prize, then when he went he got a prize.  The biggest hurdle was doing #2.  He still gags and doesn't wipe properly and he is 8!  Good luck.

monkeytoez06
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:25 AM

thanks to all of you wonderful ladies who replied and for your advice!! i figured i can try the advice given( can't hurt the matter any lol) i hope you all have a great day!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)