Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are your opinions on this subject?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:53 AM
  • 54 Replies

Poll

Question: What do u think?

Options:

Id be annoyed

I wouldnt be annoyed (please explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 73

View Results

Raul (my DH) was married before.... Everytime I go to his moms house there are envelopes for his ex and they all have his last name.... UGH I dont even know why I let this bother me but it seriously irks the hell out of me. Why does she still need to have his last name? I mean I KNOW that she was there first but I am HERE now and will always be here so why do I have to share his last name with her? If I divorced someone I wouldnt want to keep their last name.....it just makes me so mad.... I dont know what to say or even if I should bring it up. I know for sure that she opted not to change her last name because when we went to get our marriage certificate the lady needed to see his divorce papers and she told him that the ex kept his last name.

So my question is, would it bother you too? I dont know why Im letting it but I just feel like she had a chance to have that last name and the meaning behind that last name (sharing a life with him) and she choose to give it up so why does she still want it?

UPDATE:

I failed to mention that they do have a child together BUT that child has both their last names....

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaddie
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:54 AM

were there kids involved?? maybe she doesnt want to change the lastname due to keeping the same name as her children..

bookwriter4kids
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:55 AM

It wouldn't bother me!  You are his wife, not her.  Besides, some states make you pay to change your name back...maybe that's the issue.  They are more important things to concern over than a person's name.  JMO  Afterall, you got his name and him. 

Marci81
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:55 AM
Quoting mommaddie:

were there kids involved?? maybe she doesnt want to change the lastname due to keeping the same name as her children..

I was wondering the same thing. Or she just doesn't want to go through all the hassle of changing her name on everything. I wouldn't go back to my maiden name, either.
AandCsmomBrandy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:56 AM

if they have any children together then I can see why she kept his lastname. that way she and her children still have the same last name. if they don't have children then no I don't see why she kept his last name.

jaiden615

There is a child involved but that child has both their last names

Quoting mommaddie:

katiegirl

Most people keep the last name and don't change back, at least I don't know anyone who has gotten divorced that has taken their maiden name back. So no I wouldn't be annoyed.

mommaddie
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:57 AM

i just got married and let me tell you... it was such a pain in the ass to change my name.... ON EVERYTHING..... i can see why she doesnt want to change her name...its so annoying...

Sirenabella
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:57 AM

There are so many reasons to keep the last name. Her whole life could be in that name. Why should she change it? Not to be mean or anything but it was her name before it was yours so what right do you have to be irked by it?

jaiden615
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:58 AM

not to be rude but it is MY name now thats why I would be annoyed but thank you for your opinion:)

Quoting Sirenabella:

There are so many reasons to keep the last name. Her whole life could be in that name. Why should she change it? Not to be mean or anything but it was her name before it was yours so what right do you have to be irked by it?

mommaddie
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:00 AM

what do you mean...."both lastnames" dont they have the same? im confused

Quoting jaiden615:

There is a child involved but that child has both their last names

Quoting mommaddie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)