Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Since my post was deleted ...

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:01 AM
  • 51 Replies

Poll

Question: Is 9 years old too young to be left home alone ?

Options:

Yes

No

Depends (Explain)

Other ( Just because)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 221

View Results

Since my post was deleted about my husbands babies momma leaving their 9 year old daughter home alone (& this one probably will be too) , I guess I should "re word" my question so it won't cause so much drama?

Do YOU think 9 years old is too young to be left home alone for 3 or more hours a day with no phone or any kind of adult supervision? If so , what steps can my husband take in making sure his daughter is safe even though the birth mother won't listen to any of his suggestions & she has no plans to change the way she raises their daughter even though the father SHOULD have just as much say as the mother.

Maybe that'll help , if not , then sorry for reposting.

margaritaville85. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Babylove135
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Why did the first one get deleted?????

I personally think that 9 is way too young to be left alone especially with no phone.

Looking for a place where you can be yourself?  Where you can say what you want without being deleted?  Come join us.  www.cafemom.com/group/bitchbangers

unclemomma
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:02 AM

if there is a custody order he can take it to a laywer or a judge and explain that the child is not getting the proper supervision....my did this and got custody of all of us

katiegirl
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:04 AM

I voted other. I was left with my 2 older brothers at that age alone, and we lived right next door to my grandparents, and my uncle on the other side out in the country, so we were always safe. I think if she were to stay home alone she would need a phone and to let a neighbor know she is there in case the child needs to call her or something. It also depends on the kind of neighborhood you live in.

bookwriter4kids
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:04 AM

9 is to young regardless of what ANYONE thinks, it is illegal for a reason.  Leaving a 9 year old home alone is considered neglect.  I'd call the police, repoty the mother and have all visitaion revoked...maybe even push for full custody.

punksjs
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:05 AM

I was left home alone for 2-3 hours a day when I was 9 but I had a phone I could use. IMO it depends on the responsibility level of the child. My mom always left out a snack for me to have after school and I would eat my snack and do my homework and watch tv until she got home. I knew not to answer the door and not to tell anyone that called that I was alone. I loved the time by myself but I was a more mature 9 year old....I didn't immediatly want to get in trouble. Depends on the kid I think.

jlstewart922
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:05 AM

i dont think kids should be left alone until about 12 or 13. and no phone... well that's just an accident waiting to happen! if possible maybe suggest the child come to your house (if someone will be home) and if the mother still continues to leave her child then there is always CPS. im pretty sure they would take some kind of action.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
DeeNicky
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:06 AM

I voted no. i was walking home from them bustop and leaving on my own in the morning when I was nine.  The only problem here is that she doesn't have a phone. Maybe you can compromise by getting her a phone.

Stacie-Kim
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:06 AM

its illegal in some states not all.. I think it is WAY TOO YOUNG to be held responcible for thier own safety 100%

Quoting bookwriter4kids:

9 is to young regardless of what ANYONE thinks, it is illegal for a reason.  Leaving a 9 year old home alone is considered neglect.  I'd call the police, repoty the mother and have all visitaion revoked...maybe even push for full custody.

shooting photokissing dad      

Pepperlynns
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:07 AM

depends on the maturity level..i was 6 yrs old and stayed home alone with my brother for an hr in the evenings growing up my bro was 2

Valentines Day 2009
Happily married for 11 yrs...

angelflower26
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:07 AM

I think it would depend on the child some children are more capable then others at that age but then there are children that are much older and should not be left home alone for any length of time for any reason. Personally I would not leave my son alone at that age. I don't what the laws are where you are from but in Wyoming state a child can not be left alone until they are 13 years of age. Just a little info.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)