Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CIO/weaning Paci at nightime ??

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:44 AM
  • 9 Replies

My dd is 16 months old. She only uses her pacifier at night and at naps to sleep. Last night I got up to feed her twice and both times I got her back to sleep with no paci, she fell asleep in my arms though.

My goal is to start weaning her off her paci totally. Right now I just laid her down to nap with no paci, she's crying of course but I turned her aquarium on as I usually do.

How long do I let her cry for?

She was really tired before I laid her down so I thought it'd be a perfect time to try. I've tried the CIO method before and after an hour of her screaming I went in and gave her the paci. I couldn't take it anymore. When she was at the prime age to begin letting her self-sooth I wasn't abel to let her cry very much because she was failure to thrive and couldn't afford to weight at 8lbs 7oz at 6months old

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mommytotaylor
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:49 AM

cant help much i was in your same boat with my dd she is now 2 and finally got rid of paci, now she is fine, heres a bump

debbie26
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:49 AM

I wish i could help you mine still uses hers during nap and nite nite and i wish she would let it go i have tried the Binky Fairy didn't work, The new babies that need them she didn't fall for that so I'm just gonna have to do like my mom said and just toss them but i would keep trying the CIO it breaks your heart to hear them scream but imma be in that situation soon....Sorry I'm not much help but hopefully some mommas will help

Josslynsmommy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:50 AM

bump

thanks!

ChristineSellsT
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Sorry my DS never used a paci. My friend's daughter is almost 3 and she just recently gave hers up on her own. Maybe your daughter isn't ready yet.

ArmyGal
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Well my DD had her paci till about 13 months, and I was forced to wean her because we had lost all her other pacis and her last one up and disappeared. I think for two weeks she cried alot, but after that she was fine. So maybe just "cold turkey" can help . Not really sure what advice I can give you. Good luck though.

sent4u5041
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:58 AM

My dd was 17 months when we took hers away. I cut off the end of it and gave her the handle and told her it was broke. She got mad and screamed, and carried the handle around. At nap time I just laid her down in her crib and rubbed her back and did the same thing at bed time. It only took 3 nights of doing this and by the end of the 3rd night she was fine and didn't need it. When she would cry I would let her cry for about 10 mins then go lay her down and rub her back to soothe her. I never picked her up or anything. And now at 22 months if she sees a paci she goes ewww baby gross. So it worked for us.

*I am a spanking, Non Vaxing, disposibale diaper wearing, junk food eating, CIO, non-wearing, bottle-feeding, spanking proud mommy of an amazing toddler,and supporting Army wife!

bulfrg_317aaj
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Well my son is 2 and he still has to have his B to go to sleep. He would cry and cry til he got it. Sorry I am no help what so ever. Good Luck.

2KiddosMomma
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:59 AM

My DD is 20 mths and I need to break her of it too! Here  is what I am going to do.

I got her a baby doll to sleep with. Made it seem really special to bed time. Like, before bed I would tell her she needs to go get her baby so THEY can get ready for bed. I tell her and her baby gnight and got her used to sleeping with her. Then one night, I put her in bed without her baby. I could tell it was working.....she was looking around in her bed for it! As soon as I got it for her, she cuddled it and laid down to go to sleep. What is my point? My point is to get her used to going to sleep with another form of comfort. After a while, I am going to put her in bed without the paci and see what happens. I am going to try the approach that her baby doesn't have one, she doesn't need one. I will not however allow her to CIO for as long as an hr. Now, my DD normally will whine and fuss a bit as she goes to sleep. I will still allow this sans paci. But when it becomes different worked up crying...I will go in and try to get her to lay down like her baby and go to sleep. If she won't after about 20 or so mins....I will give her her paci. But I am going to try my all to not give it or go longer between getting it for her. I am hoping and I think she will....that she'll soon see the baby is enough. IDK...I am hoping!

neighbor_girl1
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:02 AM

OMG I am so ready to be done with the paci!!! My DD is 2 1/2 and only has it at nap time and night time, but at daycare they dont let them have them for naps, and she does fine. But when we are at home she INSISTS on having one. I think I am going to make her throw them away herself that way when she asks for them I can remind her that she is a big girl and threw them away. I dont know, I am willing to let her CIO for a while, but it's not easy. I would say that after an hour or so, if they have not calmed down, go in ans sooth them but NO PACI!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)