Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So what do YOU think?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:01 AM
  • 2 Replies
I know this could develop into a drama. I hope it doesn't because I'm really interested in what we all think. Please be mature! Thank you.

So, my Dh and I are having this debate. I think that the government should cut funding to NASA and he doesn't.

First of all...you should know that NASA's funding is $17.3 billion. That's 6/10% of the National Budget.

His main argument is that NASA is "inspiring". He's really cynical so this reason is very surprising to me. He says that the country needs a program like this to help develop national pride.

My point is that spending so much money (even if it is a relatively small amount)on something that's "inspiring" is a bit insulting to people at this point in history. I understand that young people might be inspired by the program to grow up and become scientist. We need scientists. But wouldn't that money be better spent setting up scholarships those people so they can go to school? What use is inspiration is you can't pay for college? How many people could go to school on $17.3 billion dollars? Or how many people who lost homes in Katrina could have new homes? NASA just seems a bit frivolous to me right now. I'm not saying we should eliminate the entire program but I do think we should focus on one or two major projects until our economy is stronger.

Obviously, there is more to my DH's argument than what I just wrote. And I do see his point. I just can't explain it very well. Hopefully, you get the gist of it.

What do you all think? I'm really curious. :)
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Kays_Mama06
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Well considering I live 45 mins from KSC, I would really hate to see them cut it.. I mean financially a lot of families would lose their jobs and I agree with your DH it is inspiring.

I mean how many people can step into their backyard and see humans just like them going into an unknown area outside this world? I know when I took my son outside for the last shuttle launch, he saw it and was in awe.. He called it an airplane in spanish.. lol.. but thats besides the point.. Theres sooo much more we havent discovered in the space we're floating in... i would really hate to see it go.

Sirenabella
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:08 AM

No. The money that is cut from there will be wasted elsewhere instead of going anywhere that it might actually be needed and NASA's research is valild, important, and very much needed for the future.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)