Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eviction Notice.. updated

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:01 AM
  • 66 Replies

So our lease is up on the 31st. We found a new townhouse this past saturday and have started moving in. I called our apartment place and they said that since we have not given them 60 days notice that they will give us an eviction notice on the first of february or we can recertify our lease and give the 60 days notice today. The thing is we cant afford to pay 2 rent payments on the same day for 2 months. Its impossible. And i really dont want to since we are going to be moved into our new place this weekend. How much trouble does an eviction notice get you in? I dont want something like this ruining everything for our future. I mean i wouldnt really have a problem with just giving the 60 days notice and paying.. but we cant.. there is NO way we can. Everything is just falling apart. We are already llow low on money just from moving and getting the new place and now this. I just thought when our lease was up it was up.. and that when we didnt re certify 60 days ago that they would have thought we werent going to. I just cant deal with all this stress. I cant focus.. or sleep.. or eat. I cant do anything but freak out and cry. We have our new home and now everything is falling apart. I hate where we live and thats why we are leaving and now all this just makes me angry more. Even if we gave the 60 days how we were we supposed to have somewhere else to live. Most places i called about renting wouldnt wait that long.. We have a week to get this all straightened out.. and i know no matter what we do we will not have enough money for all this.. its just all too much.

Well i figured i'd update everyone. I talked to my mom and she is talking to my dad about paying the 60 days work of rent for us. I called the management office again and they said if we turn in the 60 days notice today and pay the 60 days worth of rent by the 31st we can just leave and not worry about anything. They said if they find someone to rent our apartment to that they will reimburse that much of the rent.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2_two
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Every place that I ever rented you had to give 30 days notice. It didn't matter if your lease was up or not. I am not sure what happens with an eviction notice.

Seans_mommy123
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:03 AM

EVen though the lease is up you still have to give the required amount of notification.

2KiddosMomma
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:06 AM

That's why you always read the lease before you sign it!

I would let them give you the eviction notice and not look back. You have paid out your lease, just not giving "intent to vacate" notice. That's not really damaging to your name, as far I know. If it ever comes up in the future, just tell whomever you are looking to rent from what happened. It's not that big of a deal to be stressing that much over.

Tarra30
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:07 AM

sounds like they are trying to get more money out of you, read through your lease and see if it says 60 days, i have only heard of a 30 day notice. not to freak you out but they may, be able to take you to court for the notice period of 60 days if that is in the lease, but even then they cant get all the $$ upfront you can make payments, i would say read through ur lease again..

The love of my life, my boyskite

bulfrg_317aaj

Read your lease. See what it says. I am thinking that you should only have to give a 30 day notice. I am not sure what an eviction notice would do to you if anything. My dh and a couple of his friend were evicted from a place they rented years and years ago. It's never came up anytime we were looking for somewhere to rent. GOOD LUCK

ChristineSellsT

Well to tell you what you should have done isn't going to do you any good. Look at the bright side....you have a place to go...you're not homeless and you've got a new place from what I read sounds better than the last. So if they file an eviction and you are already moved out then you'll just have to deal with those consequenses as they come. No use crying over spilled milk.....move into your new place and just handle each situation as they arise. Typically if there any fees associated with court/eviction you can set up a payment plan.

Ryansgurl423
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:09 AM

having an eviction on your record can damage your ability to rent in the future.

When they run your credit and see the eviction they immediately say no!!

I would try and talk to the corporate of the complex were you live and see if they have a fine to break the lease and pay that fee instead of 2 months worth of rent!

Good luck!

rphmommy08
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:10 AM

you always have to give a 60 days notice. ive rented from 3 diff apartments all 3 a 60 day is required. they need to know if your going to renew or not so they can get it ready for others. its stupid but this is how it is. i was in the same boat. wanted to get a house but didnt think that i would have enough time to find something and if there would be what i want when the time came. i ended up renewing my lease for another year even though we dont want to be here. my apt screwed us too bcuz they gave us our paperwork to resign or not 2 days before the 60 day mark.

bookwriter4kids
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Legally you only need to give 30 days

luv_my_xiya
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:13 AM

i would just break the lease...look through your lease agreement and see what it says about that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)