Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Closing Credit Card Accounts that you no longer have cards or info for....

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:09 AM
  • 10 Replies

I'm having some fraud issues with a couple of my credit cards and i got a free report and see a few accounts still open that i'd like to close. the accounts are paid off but i just dont want unnecessary acounts open so how can i close these accounts if i dont have the cards or any statements since it has been a couple years since they were paid off....anyone have any info?  TIA

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luv_my_xiya
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:11 AM

there should be a phone number on your credit report for the companies, call them and go from there...they can probably pull you up with your social....gl

ChristineSellsT
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:12 AM

There should be names & numbers on the report. Sometimes the reports aren't the easiest to read. Just keep looking. You can also have your credit pulled from a different company because some update their info more often than others.....its always likely that those you are inquiring about are not on another report. Its weird the way they work it.

loralynn
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Quoting luv_my_xiya:

there should be a phone number on your credit report for the companies, call them and go from there...they can probably pull you up with your social....gl

twiceamommy2007
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:13 AM

yeah i see the #...there are 4 accounts i want to close and 2 do not include the phone #....so im not sure what to do there...maybe find their # online and then try to get my acct closed that way?

Kays_Mama06
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:14 AM

search the companies online.. Their info is still out there and call them...

GL!

marshsmom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Keep in mind that closing these accounts can have an impact on your credit score.  The available credit you have compared to the amount of debt you have can have an impact.  By closing the accounts you will no longer have that available credit to balance against your debt.  It could have the same impact as if you had "no credit" which is not a good credit standing to have.

Circumcision is not cleaner, healthier, safer or NORMAL!

Dispel the myths!
              www.nocirc.org  |  http://www.icgi.org/  |  http://www.mothersagainstcirc.org/

rudie452
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:25 AM

just and FYI:  you can pull your credit report for free each year at www.annualcreditreport.com  if you want to pay anywhere between 7-9 bucks you can get your credit score for each bureau. 

also...are these store credit cards are major credit cards?  and if they are major credit cards...how long have you had the accounts?  closing down a credit card that you have a lot of history with and larege credit limit can do  A LOT of damage to your credit score. 

if you no longer have the cards--then those accounts are more than likely safe from any fraud.  no one could get your number for a credit report b/c they don't publish full numbers and no credit co. is going to give a # out over the phone.  But, if you still want to close them...you can go online and find the company's phone number.  they should be able to look up your account via previous address or social security number.  If you haven't used them in a few years..some companies will automatically close down your account. 

twiceamommy2007
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:52 AM

I didnt reaize that...so keeping them open is no big deal even if I'm not using them? 

they are store cards btw..2 are store cards, one is a gas card and the other is a major card but i havent used since 2005

Quoting marshsmom:

Keep in mind that closing these accounts can have an impact on your credit score.  The available credit you have compared to the amount of debt you have can have an impact.  By closing the accounts you will no longer have that available credit to balance against your debt.  It could have the same impact as if you had "no credit" which is not a good credit standing to have.

amymarie0315
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:53 AM

I was just going to say this!

Quoting marshsmom:

rudie452
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:29 PM

The two store cards won't have that big of an impact b/c they don't really give you high limits.  You should contact them...if you haven't used them in awhile they are considered "dormant accounts" and they may have already closed the account without notifying you.   The same with the gas card...not that much effect on your credit score.

The major card I would just leave open.  Contact them and see if the card is still active.  Based on the economy a lot of major creditors and reviewing accounts and closing ones that have been inactive.  If you want to keep this card open so that it won't effect your credit score...you can have them send you a new card and make a small charge on it each month.  It can be as little as buying a soda at a 7-11!!!  That will show "activity" on your card and they will not close it....they may lower your limit though. 

Quoting twiceamommy2007:

I didnt reaize that...so keeping them open is no big deal even if I'm not using them? 

they are store cards btw..2 are store cards, one is a gas card and the other is a major card but i havent used since 2005

Quoting marshsmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)