Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

putting a girl on BC

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:56 PM
  • 56 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think giving a teen birth control is like giving them permission to have sex?

Options:

yes

no

other (explain, please!)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 132

View Results

I have heard some people (my mom) say that if a girl gets put on birth control in her early teens she will just think its ok to have sex, almost like you're giving her permission.... what do you all think?

**OOPS, I forgot to mention my OWN opinion!

I think that girls need to be educated about things, and be prepared for things. I have spoken to my niece (14) who has told me that BC or not, she will have sex when shes ready (as far as i know that time hasnt come).

I feel education is the key to everything. And i feel teenagers will do what the want no matter what you say (for the most part), so she might as well be prepared.

Join the PoInTlEsS gRoUp!!

(and we can get silly!)

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
neighbor_girl1
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:59 PM

While I think it is a contradiction to tell your daughter not to have sex and then offer them BC, sometimes you have to be honest with yourself and know that if you didnt give your daughter BC, she would end up pregnant. I honestly hope my DD and I have the type of relationship where she knows she can come and tell me if she has questions or concerns about her sexual health and about becoming sexually active.

mitch576
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:00 PM

my mother always made the pill accessible to me from the time iw as about 14.

guess how old i was when i finally had sex? late 17...almost 18.

so it isn't a green light... it is about giving your child the knowledge to protect themselves

owner of 30andbeyond...jigsaw ribbon...ADMIN of autism, asperger's, pdd awareness

jojomommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:00 PM

There are many reasons why a parent would put there child on or allow them to be on BC. I think we/us as there parent need to step up and let them know it's ok to talk to us and why you should wait. I was on the pill and had my now 4 1/2 year old (I was 23 when i got prego though)

Angelbabii407
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:01 PM
I had a friend who was put on BC at 13 because she had horrible horrible cramps and it helped her a lot. Shes 20 and still a virgin!
mommybug77
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:02 PM

I personally do not the BCP are the way to go. I think to many parents hand them over to kids & are done with it. I understnad not wanting your teen daughter pregnant but there are worse things that can happen then pregnancy.  I also don't think a lot of teens are responsible enough to take pills like they should. How many grown women forget to take them at the SAME time every day?!

raerae1011

I put other because there could be reasons as to why she goes on bc.  maybe she is having irregular periods, acne, bad cramps, etc.  then it's more an actual medical reason why she is on it.  now on the other hand, if she doesn't have any medical problems, then it does somewhat give an ok to having sex.  but really if they want to have sex, they will have it regardless if she is on bc or not.  bc is there just to help prevent a baby from happening.

sheabtn

I began BC when I was 15 and didn't have sex until I was 18. I was put on it for a reason and I never thought "OH Im on BC now, lets go crazy". lol. I think most girls are smarter than that

mommybug77
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Quoting sheabtn:

I began BC when I was 15 and didn't have sex until I was 18. I was put on it for a reason and I never thought "OH Im on BC now, lets go crazy". lol. I think most girls are smarter than that

If most girls are smarter than that then why is teen pregnancy at an all time high? (not calling teen moms stupid)

mommacarrie423
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Quoting mommybug77:

Quoting sheabtn:

If most girls are smarter than that then why is teen pregnancy at an all time high? (not calling teen moms stupid)

because not enough parents are proactive in their teens life to help them get on BC!

Join the PoInTlEsS gRoUp!!

(and we can get silly!)

jojomommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Parents need to step up and talk to there kids and allow them to grow up and still be able to talk to them about anything

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)