Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whats your opinion on Flouride Drops in babies/kids?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:06 PM
  • 16 Replies

We had a baby-well check yesterday and the nurse gave us a presccription for Flouride. I did research with this on my daughter and found a lot of info I didnt like, like it can cause cancer...

What is your opinon?

Loving Wife to Matt, Proud Mommy to Kylie & Lucas!

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
101InfantryWife
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:08 PM

How old is your babe?

My kids never used drops... bc there is Floride in tap water.

I will find the link if no one else does on the age guide line for flouride in water and drops

SuznF72
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:08 PM

They tried to tell us that our kids needed it too.  We didn't think it was a good thing to do.  So do I regret it?  Yeah, right.  3 kids, oldest being 13...1 tiny, minor cavity total out of all 3 of them so far.  1.

101InfantryWife
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:09 PM

http://www.fluoridealert.org/health/infant/

luv_my_xiya

flouride is evil

SuznF72

And we have well water...

Jessmom

We never did that, but then we have flouridated water.

PilotWifey
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:10 PM

No way!!!!!!!! Never use it! I even use toothpaste and kids vitamins without it....evil stuff!

101InfantryWife
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:12 PM

THIS IS FROM THE ADA WEBSITE

Are there ways to limit how much fluoride my baby gets during his first year of life?

Since fluoride levels in both tap and bottled water can vary, parents and caregivers should first consult with their pediatrician, family physician or dentist on the most appropriate water to use in their area to mix infant formula. Some children may have special medical needs, so be sure to ask your family physician or pediatrician whether water used for infant formula should be sterilized. 

More research is needed before definitive recommendations can be made regarding fluoride intake for infants. While these studies are being conducted, the American Dental Association has posted this guidance for parents who wish to reduce their children’s fluoride intake from birth to age one:

• Breast milk is widely acknowledged as the most complete form of nutrition for infants. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends human milk for all infants (except for the few for whom breastfeeding is determined to be harmful). Babies who are breastfed do not appear to exceed the optimal amount of fluoride.

• Ready-to-feed formula is preferred over formula mixed with water containing fluoride to help ensure that infants do not get more fluoride than they need.

• Powdered or liquid concentrate infant formula can be mixed with water that is fluoride free or contains low levels of fluoride. These types of water are labeled as purified, demineralized, deionized, distilled or reverse osmosis filtered water.  Many stores sell these types of drinking water for approximately $1 per gallon. Most other types of bottled water contain low fluoride concentrations but variations exist and some brands may contain optimal or higher levels. If you have questions about the fluoride content in the bottled water you use, check the label or contact the bottler. Some, but not all, home water treatment systems also remove fluoride from tap water, so check with the manufacturer.

• Occasional use of fluoridated water should not greatly increase the chance of enamel fluorosis.

• After their first birthday, children can drink fluoridated water because they’ve grown and they weigh more.

• Parents should consult with their physicians or dentists and weigh the balance between the chance of a child developing enamel fluorosis (which in the vast majority of cases simply results in barely noticeable faint white lines or streaks on tooth enamel) against the risk of not getting enough fluoride, which could result in cavities.  
tfmmpmmdmmom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:13 PM

If you use flouridated water that should be sufficient enough.

two2tango
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Thing is...you're not supposed to use flouride toothpaste until they're old enough to spit it out. So why would they give flouride drops? That doesn't even make sense.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)