Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cooking question.... help please

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:12 PM
  • 7 Replies

OK i bought chicken and put it in the freezer, I took it out three days ago to thaw in the fridge. Well I took it out today and it said freeze or use by Jan. 19th. Can I still cook it or should I ditch it? I usually cook the meat the day after but my DH kept telling me he wasn;t in the mood for chicken.

Thanks!

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Crystallynn
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:14 PM

you should be fine because it frozen, but if it's been in  the fridge for 3 days it needs to be cooked today or tonight.

sllytnkrbl
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Since you did freeze it before the 19th and defrosted it it should be fine.  How long ago did you buy it figure how many days that was before the 19th and as long as it was more than 3 you slowed down the spoiling process.    I don't think that made any sense, I would still cook it just make sure it is completely cooked.

Leni - Wife, Mom and NASCAR Fan

4LifeTupperware
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Quoting Crystallynn:

you should be fine because it frozen, but if it's been in  the fridge for 3 days it needs to be cooked today or tonight.

Melanie, Wife for 14 years and a Mom, to 13 year old daughter, 10 year old son, 3 year old son, 11 month old son and two angel babies that would also be 11 months old, and Tupperware Consultant!   "Only one life, will soon be passed, only what's done for Christ will last."          

Momof19202006
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Cook it tonight!  If not tonight then throw away.  :)

bushs last day!me want cookie!

mcginnisc
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:17 PM

As long as it has been under the temperature danger zone it should be fine.. for further reference the temp danger zone is between 41 and 141 F.. that means if it is between those temps-toss it. If a product is between those temperatures that means it has not been kept properly and bacteria is able to grow more quickly.

Cold products should be below 41 F and hot products above 141F.

Since it was frozen before the 19th and it has been thawing in the fridge and not on the counter or sink, it is most likely safe to eat. I thawed a chicken for 2 days in the fridge and cooked it over the weekend and it was fine. Also, you can smell it..if it smells off, toss it.

I'm a Chef turned SAHM and I would cook it.

Claire

metalmomma25
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:20 PM

I agree with everything she says. I am also a chef turned sahm.

Quoting mcginnisc:

As long as it has been under the temperature danger zone it should be fine.. for further reference the temp danger zone is between 41 and 141 F.. that means if it is between those temps-toss it. If a product is between those temperatures that means it has not been kept properly and bacteria is able to grow more quickly.

Cold products should be below 41 F and hot products above 141F.

Since it was frozen before the 19th and it has been thawing in the fridge and not on the counter or sink, it is most likely safe to eat. I thawed a chicken for 2 days in the fridge and cooked it over the weekend and it was fine. Also, you can smell it..if it smells off, toss it.

I'm a Chef turned SAHM and I would cook it.

Claire

maizys_mom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:42 PM

thank you guys!

xo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)