Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scam?? Mystery shoppers please help!

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:21 PM
  • 6 Replies

Ok so I applied to do the mystery shopper thing like a while ago well I got a check and a letter in the mail. The check is for 3,500.00 and it is made out to me! So upon readign the letter it explains that 300 is mine to keep as payment, 3000 is to be used for a money gram transaction, 80 is to be used at a store to buy stuff and report on their customer service and yada yada. Well it says to call this number right away upon recieving the check and it also has a fax number that I am to fax the reciepts and customer service report to. Well when i called the number it says that the customer I am trying to reach is unavaliable at this time. The fax number works its a fax line I called it too and a fax picked up! IDK what to do lol i wanted to do the mystery shopper thing but I am scared that this is a scam so im not cashing the check or depostining it! what would you do?

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
two2tango
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Gotta be a scam.

vangel34
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:27 PM

I work for a bank and we see this all the time, it's definitely a scam.  You can prove this by looking up the banks phone number in the phone book or online and calling to verify the check.

Anytime your sent a check for over the amount and you have to send the difference back is a huge scam and a huge no no.  You'r bank will accept it for deposit but the item will be returned in a few days, thus your account being debited for $3500 after you've already sent them the $3000.00.  So you're out of $3000.00!

pam228
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:28 PM

DO NOT CASH THE CHECK!!!! a friend of mine,got hooked in a scam where she had to cash a check for someone,send them a money order,she could keep a certain amount for her troubles. luckily we live in a small town and we know the president of our bank. he stopped the check cashing process and told her,if she'ld cashed it,it would have bounced and she would have had to pay back all the money herself. they sent everything to the attorney generals office. it was a very close call. you should call your local attorney's office. it sounds like the same deal.

kerrysmom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:29 PM

I would call the Better Business Beurau (sp?).. They should know..

Jeanine
MikeysMom51108
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:33 PM

It's a scam.

Same thing happened to me. They sent me a check for $4900. Told me to cash it, keep $700 and send the rest via Western Union to some address in Ukraine.

The check came from a University office. I googled, and the University exists, and the woman who signed the check actually worked there. Seemed real, but I still wasn't convinced. So, I went to my bank and asked if they could tell me if the check was real or not. They couldn't. So, I called the University and asked about it. I spoke to the woman who had "signed" the check. She didn't know anything about it. Someone was using her name and job--and forging checks.

peaceluvinhippy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:08 PM

omg THANK YOU ALL!! SORRY THOSE THAT WERE SCAMMED THANKS FOR SAVIN GME!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)