Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you do timeouts?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:22 PM
  • 12 Replies

I just put my 2 1/2 year old in her room. That doesnt seem to be working. She picks on my son, 8 months old  all the time.

I need her to learn its not ok to throw soccer balls at his head and push him over!

What is a good way to do time-outs that will help her understand its not ok?

Loving Wife to Matt, Proud Mommy to Kylie & Lucas!

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TanyaParker
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:24 PM

With my 4 yr old i do nose in the corner hands at his sides and he cant talk. works

Learn the rules so you can break them the right way!!

lunapic-122900605189627.gif picture by mce985

MissInvisible
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:25 PM

We got a time out chair. I think I got it at Micheals or Hobby Lobby. It actually says Time Out on it. Pretty cute! Anyway.  We put it in the hallway. We found that sending them to their rooms didn't work because they would only sit there and play. And the couch wasn't an option because they would watch tv. In the hall there is nothing to play with or watch. So thats where they go and we set the timer.

Kellileanne
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:25 PM

My dd is only 14 months and she goes in her playpen.  I don't have another (thinking about it though) so I don't know about the sibling issues.  good luck!

FoxyLady42
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:27 PM

When my kids were small, I had a time out chair and they had to sit in it for the minutes of there age. So when they were 2, it would be 2 mins. And so on...good luck Mom

101InfantryWife
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:33 PM

You took the words out of my mouth.. for my 3 yr old

Quoting TanyaParker:

With my 4 yr old i do nose in the corner hands at his sides and he cant talk. works

itsnotaboutm765
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:34 PM

same here except hands go behind the back

Quoting 101InfantryWife:

You took the words out of my mouth.. for my 3 yr old

Quoting TanyaParker:

blondenoah
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:35 PM

my son is 4 he gets hands on the wall (he has a wall with his name on it that says Noahs time out wall) and he has to stand there for four minutes and after that he generelly is calmed down apoligizes and may go play again.

ashley22ky
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:36 PM

I don't have a chair or mat or anything because it just seems to cause a distraction. So I just sit them on the floor in the hallway where there in nothing for them to mess with. I have a kitchen timer above their heads and set it when they sit down, then when it goes off they know they can get up and turn it off and come to me.

Lovegaia78
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:37 PM

My dd is too young, but when I was a nanny they had one of those baby gates put into a pentagon-sort of shape. We put her in it when she had time-outs. It looked like a jail, but it worked!

lilmomma4
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:39 PM

I have a corner in the kitchen where my ds can't watch tv or play with anything.I give him a warning (he's 3)and then make him take the time out.It works really well.The older kids taking privileges works better.

www.myspace.com/lilmisstink78

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)