Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When did your LO stop napping?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:23 PM
  • 11 Replies

My 19 month old is having a really hard time sleeping lately. She's always been really good at napping and going to bed. Last night she decided not to go to bed until 11pm! Then today she refuses to nap. I'm not sure if this is about the age they stop napping, or if it might have something to do with her dad being gone right now.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MandiK
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Nobody can tell me when their baby stopped napping? She's my first so I really have no idea.

Mommy_to_CTN

My oldest took a daily nap until she was 5.  She might have gone longer, but it was a busy summer and I just stopped making her.  My second dd stoped out of the blue when she turned 2.  She always napped for a couple hours every day and with no warning she just stopped pretty much as soon as she had her birthday.  I tried everything I could to force her to continue - locking her in her room - she just screamed, laying down with her - I'd fall asleep and she wouldn't, nothing worked, so I just accepted that she must not need them anymore - I wasn't happy though - I was used to having a break in the afternoon.  My 3rd dd is 13 months and of course still napping.

breastfeedingplaying soccer girlblowing bubbles

Noelle                Caitlin                    Taylor

MissiHampt

Mine's 4 years and still napping great....thank goodness.

Jessmom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:34 PM

I stopped giving my son naps at 2 yrs when he was at home. The daycare still put him down for a nap, but they told me he usually just laid there and sang to himself the whole time.  He's never been big on sleeping.

TheresaMomof9
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Mine took an afternoon 'nap' until first grade. :) At about age 4 we called it "quiet time". I'd read a couple books then they (sometimes we ;) ) would rest for about a half hour. If the child was still awake after a half hour she could get up. Most times she took an hour or so nap. It helped us get through the afternoons. Only thing is, during the winter, if the older ones nap then you have to make sure they get plenty of exercise so they can still sleep at night. My 3 yo didn't nap today because it's too cold to go outside and I KNOW it'll impair her ability to sleep tonight if she does. Hope that helps!

T.

GmansMomy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:36 PM
well my son is 4 1/2. I just stopped his naps within the past month or so. He would take a nap, even just an hour, but wouldnt go to sleep til 10 or so at night. so now i just make him rest in his room watching tv quietly and he goes to bed at 8pm now. its great. my daughter is 15 months. she takes about a 2 hour nap and goes to bed around 8 as well.

MOMMY TO

GAVMAN        &    ADDY PIE

ashley22ky
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:38 PM

My oldest just stopped about a month ago and he is almost 4. He still does an hour of "quiet time" though, and it makes bedtime alot easier. He's asleep by 7:30 or 8:00 every night. My 20 month old still takes a nap everyday from about 12:30-2:30.

soupermom905
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:41 PM

My boys are in kindergarten (turned 6 in September) and we tried to get them to stop taking naps when they started kindergarten.  That did not work out very well-so when they get home, we ask if they want to go and take a rest (nap) and 9 times out of 10 they go and fall asleep for an hour or so.

"If God did not want you to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat!"

247mamaandwife
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:52 PM
mine is just starting to reject it totally, but i still make her lay dawn for "quite"time and she will be 3 on the 4th
MommyTo2Boyz
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:55 PM

My oldest didn't stop napping until just this past summer.  He was going on 5.  He would nap 3 days a week and the other 4 he was in preschool.  My almost 3 yr old still naps every day.  He goes to preschool in the fall so I'll probably try doing the same with him that I did with Dustin.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)