Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you know how to remove diamonds from a ring?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:40 PM
  • 5 Replies

Do you know how to remove diamonds from a ring? I am going to a gold party tonight and I have a ring I got along time ago and would like to keep the Diamonds.

Thanks

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Christy-
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Not sure what a gold party is. I think to remove the diamond you need to pry back the prongs holding it in and pull it out. 

Missi_Me530
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:42 PM

You should take it to a jeweler so you don't chip the diamond. 

vangel34
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Your right, I worked in jewelry for 5 years, you can actually use wire cutters to clip the top of the prongs if there really thick or you can't get a good grasp to bend them back.  Diamonds are hard so don't worry, you won't hurt them.

Quoting Christy-:

Not sure what a gold party is. I think to remove the diamond you need to pry back the prongs holding it in and pull it out. 

MommyJenn118
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:46 PM

I would take it to a jewler once you decide what you want to do with. They can reset into a new ring, necklace charm, or earings, I wouldn't leave them loose.

laura244
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Thanks so much, I will give it a try!!!

I am going to a gold party, its where you bring your gold necklaces,bracelets,rings,earrings anything! They will offer you a price for it and then they melt it.

Thanks again

Quoting vangel34:

Your right, I worked in jewelry for 5 years, you can actually use wire cutters to clip the top of the prongs if there really thick or you can't get a good grasp to bend them back.  Diamonds are hard so don't worry, you won't hurt them.

Quoting Christy-:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)