Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parental rights taken away

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:08 PM
  • 11 Replies

Does anyone know information about a parent VOLUNTARILY signing his/her parental rights away?

Anyone been in this situation?

Anyone know about rights being taken away involuntarily?

I know the laws vary by state..but I want to know what others know.

thanks!

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Babylove135
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:10 PM

What do you want to know?  My ex has voluntarily signed over his rights to my kids.

Looking for a place where you can be yourself?  Where you can say what you want without being deleted?  Come join us.  www.cafemom.com/group/bitchbangers

25beengoodtome
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:12 PM

My ex couldn't be bothered to try for custody of our 2 sons. He didn't want the responsibility or cost of caring for them.

friendswb2009

Quoting Babylove135:

What do you want to know?  My ex has voluntarily signed over his rights to my kids.

I want to know EVERYTHING.

How much did it cost? lawyer?

Why did he sign his rights away?

Was he paying child support when he signed his rights away?

Does he still have to pay child support now even though he signed his rights away?

Was he seeing the children when he signed the rights away? visting with them? if not, how long was it that he didn't see them?

Did you have to proove anything?

How long was the entire process?

Was it an easy process? Did you have to go to court a lot?

Did you ask him to do it? Did he ask you about it?

Tell me everything you can...PLEASE

thanks

MAyers

My big sister had to sign her rights away from her daughter to me before she died last year.

Carolbrady100
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:13 PM

My SO's ex voluntarily signed her rights away from the kids, just took a lawyer.

KBarbie
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:13 PM

when I was much younger and my dad left my mom, she had custody of me, but inorder to get his rights completely taken away, since we couldnt contact him at ALL, she had to put a notice in idn how many newspapers for a certain amount of days saying she was going to do so and for him to contact her if he was against it etc, and then when the time was up (if he doesn't contact the mother, mine didn't thank god) then the courts take away all the rights from the other parent, even being on the birth certificate.

JAX_Mami
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:14 PM

bump

BUT

isra1986
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:14 PM
My parents did when I was 14. I was put in a group home for a couple days until my grandmom took me in.

Babylove135
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Quoting friendswb2009:

Quoting Babylove135:

How much did it cost? lawyer? Didn't have one... he had already signed over rights to another child and I am friends with the mom so she gave me the paperwork and I typed it up myself, he signed it and got itnotorized

Why did he sign his rights away?  He doesn't want to pay child support

Was he paying child support when he signed his rights away? yes

Does he still have to pay child support now even though he signed his rights away? yes because I haven't done anything else yet.  In Texas in order for a parent to sign over their rights there has to be someone willing to adopt them.  My DH wants to we just don't have the money right now to file all the paperwork

Did you have to proove anything? no

How long was the entire process? don't know yet

Did you ask him to do it? Did he ask you about it?  I asked him once and he said no then he got remarried and they had a baby and then he wanted to do it.

thanks

OK I think I answered most of your questions.  I don't know all the details since I haven't filed the paperwork yet.  It cost a lot of money to do it and I was trying to do it for cheaper by myself but I can't get ahold of my friend so I don't have the rest of the paperwork needed to file for the adoption yet.  I was quoted about $6,000+ to go through a lawyer and it's under $1,000 to do it yourself it's just hard to find out how to do it.  She had a friend that worked for a lawyer that gave her all the paperwork she needed.

Looking for a place where you can be yourself?  Where you can say what you want without being deleted?  Come join us.  www.cafemom.com/group/bitchbangers

friendswb2009
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Thanks for all your input.

The lawyer told me $165 an hour. However, I don't know how many hours it would take. I think I need to go through a lawyer because I have no idea what to do and how to get it done.

The father hasn't seen my child in little over 2 years. I think if I ask him..he'll do it. He doesn't see the child..hardly ever pays support...so I hope he'll voluntarily sign the papers.

Quoting Babylove135:

Quoting friendswb2009:

Quoting Babylove135:

How much did it cost? lawyer? Didn't have one... he had already signed over rights to another child and I am friends with the mom so she gave me the paperwork and I typed it up myself, he signed it and got itnotorized

Why did he sign his rights away?  He doesn't want to pay child support

Was he paying child support when he signed his rights away? yes

Does he still have to pay child support now even though he signed his rights away? yes because I haven't done anything else yet.  In Texas in order for a parent to sign over their rights there has to be someone willing to adopt them.  My DH wants to we just don't have the money right now to file all the paperwork

Did you have to proove anything? no

How long was the entire process? don't know yet

Did you ask him to do it? Did he ask you about it?  I asked him once and he said no then he got remarried and they had a baby and then he wanted to do it.

thanks

OK I think I answered most of your questions.  I don't know all the details since I haven't filed the paperwork yet.  It cost a lot of money to do it and I was trying to do it for cheaper by myself but I can't get ahold of my friend so I don't have the rest of the paperwork needed to file for the adoption yet.  I was quoted about $6,000+ to go through a lawyer and it's under $1,000 to do it yourself it's just hard to find out how to do it.  She had a friend that worked for a lawyer that gave her all the paperwork she needed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)