Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could I give my 4mo a little water?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:09 PM
  • 20 Replies

I know formula has everything he needs in it but now that he's started solids I was wondering would it really hurt to give him 1-2 oz of water now and then? He always looks kinda thirsty when eating his peas for example and I know I don't wanna eat without a drink to wash it down lol. So as long as he's eating like normal couldn't I give him a couple oz after his solids?

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dragonflykiss44
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:11 PM

yes, water is good for everyone. its not gonna hurt. just make sure its filtered and has flouride (sp)

beans13
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:13 PM

It needs to be STERILIZED water.....  The same as you would use for formula.  Make sure you only give a small amount though.  Their stomachs are tiny and it will fill them up and nutrionally they are getting nothing from it.  Give it after the food only.

talitha_b
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:14 PM

A little water is fine but not necessary.  I give my 5 mth. old a little bit on a spoon.

JAX_Mami
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:15 PM

a little...not a lot because they can die from too much water. their kidneys can't handle it.

BUT

vbongard
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Water is always good.  We have given our kids water since they were about 2 weeks old. 

lighthouse112
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Yes you can....if you can get him to drink it that is. I always gave my kids formula with food. Either one would be fine.

Paesana82
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Water isn't going to kill him, but there's really no reason to give water to such a young baby. If he's thirsty he should have breast milk or formula.

mom-lovingit
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:19 PM

A little water with meals is fine, helps to wash down the food and washes their mouths out :)  I didn't think that you needed sterialized water unless they were preeme- check with you pedi.  I started giving water with meals around 6mo, before then was a bit of BM to wash it down.

jojomommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:19 PM
Why not you make fomula with water
Kenre
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:20 PM

In the desert we always give our babies an ounce of water a day from the time they are born. It keeps them hydrated in the dry area.

Water poisoning is real, though, so keep it to an ounce or two a day. Never more and never dilute formula.

I'm a co-sleeping, baby carrying, cloth diapering, early potty training, delayed/selective vaccinating, circumcising, gardening and hunting, just lost my job, animal loving, breastfeeding, no spanking, no screaming, Kazdin Method using, sign language using, book loving, Pagan living Witch, pro-life, meat eating, head strong mommy of a baby boy who is gifted (Sept 25, 07), a step-son with PDD-NOS Autism (Jun 11, 04), due August 5, 2009.
Join Me In These Groups: Pagan & Proud | Natural Nurturing | 2007 Babies | Baby Sign Language | Hard Ass Mommas | Old Fashioned & Anti Mainstream Moms | Step-Parenting | Moms Against Child Sexual Abuse | Caylee Anthony

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)