Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Flu Shots - UGH!

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:28 PM
  • 17 Replies

My son had a follow up with his dr this morning for a recent upper respiratory infection and ear infection.  He has a clean bill of health, YAY!
At his 15 month check up in Sept., we were offered the flu shot and denied it.  At his 18 month check up in Dec., we were offered the flu shot again, and denied it.  When I took him to the ER for this recent illness, I got the third degree about it, offered it (WHILE he was sick) and denied it.  During his follow up today I was offered the flu shot, AGAIN (Three times now by his doctor, and four times total).  Again, I denied it.  I got the, "Are you sure?  Flu season is really bad this year."
How many times does it take saying, "No!" for it to mean, "NO!?"  I usually have no qualms with his doctor, and really like her, but I am at my wit's end over this freaking flu shot.  For crying out loud, he's not getting it and that's the end of the story.  Deal with it!!!

Amanda~Cloth Diapering, Non-Spanking, Attached Mommy to my little miracle, Landon Joel, born 6 weeks too soon, 6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, coolest kid on the block!

Then                                           Now

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gabrielsmom2006
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:33 PM

I think it's like McDonald's and >>"would you like fires with that?" It is something they are supposed to ask everyone every time.

mitty18
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:36 PM

You can say no you don't want it until your blue in the face, but i bet your dactor would still ask you becuase its just the way she does her practice. My son's Ped.'s office doesn't bother people about shots if they want their children to get them then they can request it if not then they don't harrass them. She is very pro choice when it comes to vaccinations.

All you can do momma is ignore it and keep telling them no.

I'm a non-vaccinating, Co-sleeping, ERFing, Non-spanking, Baby-wearing, Momma to a preemie and speical needs child whom i love with all my heart soul and mind. 

thebestbrianne
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:46 PM

No one has ever offered the flu shot for my daughter. I thought it was something they only did if they were over 2.

Join me at Non-Religious Mommies!

It's ok to be open-minded!

ashmac03
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:49 PM

My daughters doctor always asks us as well and I have to keep saying no.  It drives me crazy.

beans13
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Can I ask why you would NOT want the flu shot?  Just asking, not attacking...... To me it seems like a no brainer..... dd has been getting it since she was 6 months old.  She is 2 1/2 now  She has never been on antibiotics... never had anything worse than a slight cold.

LeXisMoMMi04
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:54 PM

do you think that the doc makes note of it every time he asks his patient that?

Ceryn2082
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Quoting beans13:

Can I ask why you would NOT want the flu shot?  Just asking, not attacking...... To me it seems like a no brainer..... dd has been getting it since she was 6 months old.  She is 2 1/2 now  She has never been on antibiotics... never had anything worse than a slight cold.

my son does not get the flu shot, or 1/2 the other vax's they try to force down his throat. 

mom2ljh
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:04 PM

My son has multiple food allergies.  The flu vaccine is incubated in egg white protein.  Eggs may or may not be one of his allergies.  He's never had them, and tested with a mild reaction on the skin prick test.  His severe soy allergy doesn't even show up on skin tests, so egg showing up mild kind of bothers me.  I don't care to find out if he's allergic to egg through a flu shot.  He's also allergic to wheat and, due to a lack of research on my part, received the Chicken Pox vaccine.  He was sick for weeks due to the MSG (contains wheat) in it.
He's also 19 months old and barely talks.  The flu shot contains Thimerisol (mercury).  I don't think it a good idea to inject the 19 month old who doesn't talk with mercury.
The flu shot also isn't effective, and a daily dose of 1000IUs of Vit D is equally as effective, if not moreso.  In my opinion, the flu shot is not necessary, and to my son, could easily cause more harm than good.

Quoting beans13:

Amanda~Cloth Diapering, Non-Spanking, Attached Mommy to my little miracle, Landon Joel, born 6 weeks too soon, 6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, coolest kid on the block!

sweetdragoness
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:08 PM

MY DD will never have it either.  Too many serious reactions from the women in our family to the shot.  It is also only effective against like 4-8 of the hundreds of flu strains there are out there.

Quoting beans13:

Can I ask why you would NOT want the flu shot? Just asking, not attacking...... To me it seems like a no brainer..... dd has been getting it since she was 6 months old. She is 2 1/2 now She has never been on antibiotics... never had anything worse than a slight cold.

mom2ljh
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Quoting LeXisMoMMi04:

do you think that the doc makes note of it every time he asks his patient that?

Being as, at his 15 month check up in Sept when we first refused it, I WATCHED her note it, yes, I do think she notes it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)