Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

White spots on 19 month old DD's fingernails....

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:39 PM
  • 9 Replies

does anyone know what really causes these?

I have 2 on my nails at the moment as well.

She takes liquid vitamins w/ floride in the morning and I take a prenatal vitamin b/c I still nurse 2x a day.

toddler girlI love my FIONA JADE------Chrissy = Gemini, SAHM, Extended Nurser, Vaccinating, Obama Mama,Pro-Choice, Dog Lover (I heart my fur baby Bodhi), wife to a green card holding Latin lover, Mom to Fiona Jade our only child by choice! 

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
rockinmomto2
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:40 PM

It's from trauma to the nail, not a vitamin deficiency. She probably banged her hand on a wall or something. No big deal!

Kellileanne
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Are they like growing out with the nail?  If so then that usually happens when you hit the area where the nail forms.  Completely normal.

AandCsmomBrandy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:42 PM

it's actually a calcium deposit in the nail. it is perfectly normal and will not cause any harm!!

HeatherDawn75
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:43 PM

I am pretty sure they are from bumping your fingernail. Although, My MOM always told me they were lie spots from telling lies!

lvnmylif
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:44 PM

It'scalcium deposits.  It isn't an indication of anything actually it's completely normal.  I had a friend in high school who had completely white nails.  So did her father.  It was caused by calcium deposits.

mommyboudry
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:45 PM

my daughter has this. totally normal

Quoting AandCsmomBrandy:

it's actually a calcium deposit in the nail. it is perfectly normal and will not cause any harm!!

rockinmomto2
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Completely white nails are calcium deposits. But little white spots are from trauma to the nail. Common misconception.

Quoting lvnmylif:

It'scalcium deposits.  It isn't an indication of anything actually it's completely normal.  I had a friend in high school who had completely white nails.  So did her father.  It was caused by calcium deposits.

Night_Roane
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:47 PM

if you gently pinch her fingers and they stay white and don't go back to red right away it's an iron deficiency.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Fionas_Mom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:53 PM

They grow out with the nail.....trama then, thanks

toddler girlI love my FIONA JADE------Chrissy = Gemini, SAHM, Extended Nurser, Vaccinating, Obama Mama,Pro-Choice, Dog Lover (I heart my fur baby Bodhi), wife to a green card holding Latin lover, Mom to Fiona Jade our only child by choice! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)