Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bottles or sippy cups?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:58 PM
  • 10 Replies

Im a SAHM and i breastfeed. so, i've only introduced a bottle a few times. he's 6 months old. he's sick right now & i was told by the doc to give him pedialyte.

my question is - do you think he's too young to use a sippy cup? he's not taking the bottle & i think it's the nipple (it doesn't let the stuff out as fast as my nipple does)

i dotn really want to get him hooked on a bottle, i'd rather just go to a sippy cup. when did you guys switch your LO to sippy cups?

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jennijune_21
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:00 PM

I got Jake a Nuk "transitional" cup at 6 months and he LOVED it.  No, I don't think it's too old at all.

proudmommyof04

6 mnths is the perfect age to introduce a sippy cup...that's about the age I did with all 4 of my kids.  It will be messy at first, but they get the hang of it rather quickly!!

Seans_mommy123
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:00 PM

I intorduced a sippy cup to my DS when he was 6 months old. I gave him the soft top nuby ones or if i gave him a hard top one i gave it to him without the valve in it.

mommyboudry

I started all 3 of mine on sippies at about 6 mths.  Use one that has handles and a soft sipper on it.  Gerber and Advent make great ones.

ff-princess

I would go straight to a sippy if he's already sitting up by himself.  or you could try a bigger nipple for the bottle, they usually come in several different stages from newborn with one small hole to 9 - 12 months with 3 larger holes.

thebestbrianne

I started easing her in to the sippy cup around 6 months, but it took until about 10 months to get off the bottle. If he will take a cup, go for it. I wuold suggest starting out with ones with soft spouts like the Nuby brand. There are fast flow nipples though, at least for Playtex bottles, I don't know about other brands.

Join me at Non-Religious Mommies!

It's ok to be open-minded!

arickasmommy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:01 PM

i gave my dd one around 6 months to start to get use to it... she would chew and play with it at first and now at 9 months she is on a sippy 100% no more bottles..

i think he would be just fine to give a sippy to.. he may not drink out of it yet..

i would suggest getting a soft spout one at first..

ren109
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:01 PM

6 months is a great age to introduce the sippy cup. Hope he feels better soon.

tmama1119
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:02 PM

I was in a similar situation that you are in and I went out and bought nipples that had "fast flow"

Rileymother
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:03 PM

My son started on a sippy cup when he was 6months he never did drink from a bottle he is now 9months,likes it  very much

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)