Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I know if my breast milk is spoiled? Please help!

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:37 PM
  • 14 Replies
With my first son my milk dried up and I was not able to breast feed. In fact, no woman on my mom's side of the family was ever to breast feed. My mom had toxemia and her breast milk spoiled, with what she had that is. Well with this baby, I got some breast milk in, I tried feeding him at the hospital and he would latch on, but keeping him on was a big hassle. The nurse said to let us try and pump milk and see if he would take it from a bottle. Wouldn't take the milk from the bottle either. So finally he NEEDED to eat, and we broke down and gave him formula and he ate it! I have still tried and tried every single day before giving him a bottle to breast feed, I still have milk, but he refuses to eat it, I also try and offer him milk that I have pumped and he will not take it! He'll take the formula with no fuss. My mom brought it up to me that maybe my milk is spoiled as well. So how and the heck do I know if it is spoiled or not? Do I taste it and see if it's tart or something? Anyone know?

toddler boyParker (6-1-07) baby boyColten (1-15-09) 

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissyDawn
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:39 PM

I don't know hon, but I'll give you a bump....

ahawes
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:40 PM

NO I HAVE NO IDEA

BUMP

I WANT TO SEE YOUR NEW BABY BOY! PLZ

having chocolatetreadmilltoddler boy
I'm a non cosleeping, disposable diapering, non-cio, chocolate lover, vaccinating, going to the gym, tv watching, circumcising, pit-bull owning, scrapbooking, camera ready, front facing car seat, non-boobie momma to a very active cute little man! 

knglenn22
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:40 PM

No idea but here is a bump

unclemomma
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:41 PM

i dont know taste it and see...other then that i will give you a bump

adamjackie
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Did not know breast milk could spoil inside of you. Good to know. So here is a bump

Jaismomma
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:44 PM

bump

NewMom304
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:49 PM

It CANNOT spoil inside of you.  Maybe he doesn't like something you're eating.  Or maybe he's used to formula now.  Try mixing BM with formula and each time adding more BM.  Keep pumping and put the milk in the freezer.  Also, join the breastfeeding groups.  You'll get a lot more valuable information than in a general group.

Quoting adamjackie:

Did not know breast milk could spoil inside of you. Good to know. So here is a bump

Mimislove
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:49 PM

I have never heard of milk spoiling in the woman. It can have a bad taste from your diet/meds/etc...though.

Have you tried a bottle that is 50/50 breast milk and formula together? He may just like the thicker consistency of the formula. I would do the half and half for several days, then slower up the breast milk and lessen the formula.

Good luck.

JZB
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:50 PM

WE WANT PICS

Quoting Mimislove:

I have never heard of milk spoiling in the woman. It can have a bad taste from your diet/meds/etc...though.

Have you tried a bottle that is 50/50 breast milk and formula together? He may just like the thicker consistency of the formula. I would do the half and half for several days, then slower up the breast milk and lessen the formula.

Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)