Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Was it rude?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:48 PM
  • 32 Replies

Poll

Question: Was it rude?

Options:

No they did what they could

Yes they should have done more

Other (please explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 106

View Results

My friend called last night with a dilemma. I thought I would post and see what y'all thought. My friend J and her bf C had to go to his brother's wedding in San Diego. They live in Phoenix. She is unemployed and his checks are small, no kids. They are financially hurting bad.

Anyway they spent money they didn't have to go. C used his car and his gas money to take them to Vegas for the bachelor party. J used 50$ of her money for things for the bachelorette party. They could not afford a gift. The bride and groom are in their late 30s early 40s. So at this point in life have everything needed for a household.

The new SIL is mad and not speaking to J or C because they did not give her a gift. She said it was rude. She does know of thier financial situation.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
adamjackie
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:53 PM

bump

adamjackie
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Thanks for voting ladies. Any feedback? Curious on opinions too

25beengoodtome
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:57 PM

No it's not rude!

What is rude, is the bridal party getting huffy about a non-gifting guest.

beautifulinlove
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:58 PM
They have everything they need in life, what is she complaining about? If anyone is being rude, the bride is!
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
emilysmom8
by Dawn on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:59 PM

They knew the wedding was coming up they should have saved a little everyweek so they could give the couple something for their wedding.

When my best friend got married she told me right out that because I was a single mom and spending a lot of money on the shower and on the dress, the shoes and going to the salon with the girls to get my hair done, that I didn't have to give her a gift. I still felt obligated to so I out $5 out of every paycheck aside and when her wedding came I had enough to give her a $50 wedding gift (not much but it was better than nothing)!

hoping4number3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:59 PM

even if they were RICH and rolling in dough..it's rude for the new inlaw to say she's upset about not getting a gift THAT is rude!

adamjackie
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Thats what I told her. When I had my wedding I told people not to bring gifts. A wedding is a celabration to share with others not to get gifts.

Quoting 25beengoodtome:

No it's not rude!

BreannazMomma
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:00 PM

yup, its rude to EXPECT gifts.  I cann't believe she isn't talking to them cuz they can't afford a gift.  Everyone is having financial difficulties.  I'd like to hear a response from anyone who voted they were rude and shoulda done more.  I want to know what makes them think this???  Isn't putting food one the table more important then giving gifts?!

Quoting beautifulinlove:

They have everything they need in life, what is she complaining about? If anyone is being rude, the bride is!

ShoesRLove
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:01 PM

WHAT A INCONSIDERATE BITCH, I WOULD NEVER EXPECT ANYTHING FROM SOMEONE WHO WAS IN A FINACIAL BIND...

If you have a baby named GAVIN, come join my group. "Gavin Babies"

michelle6_10
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Exactly!  Were they the best man and matron of honor?

Quoting 25beengoodtome:

No it's not rude!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)