Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is it selfish?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:03 PM
  • 12 Replies

I have been told that only having/wanting one child is selfish.  Do you agree with this?  If so, what are your reasons?

Please do not bash.  I have to go pick up my son from his sitters, and I would like to see the answers when I get back without this being deleted.  thanks :)

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oboe_chik
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:06 PM

I think that only having one child is no selfish at all. I don't see how someone could consider it selfish to decide how many children someone else wants.

AmelieH
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:08 PM

that is kind of my opinion too.  IDK, people love to be in each others business. 

Quoting oboe_chik:

I think that only having one child is no selfish at all. I don't see how someone could consider it selfish to decide how many children someone else wants.

witchywomanav
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:08 PM

I don't think it's selfish. If that's all you know you can handle, why bring in more than that. I only wanted one, I got two, but I love them both. You gotta do what's right for you, not everyone else.

Lanie_momofone
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Ok wait a minute...i mean, maybe your life is too hectic for another child? Maybe your worried that one child will lose out if you have another? I mean, its YOUR decision and no one should judge you for just wanting ONE child! How do they think it is selfish? Because your not giving that child a brother or sister to play with? Jeesh, children are NOT animals, they go to school..they make friends and they live! I am sorry that someone told you , that you were selfish but that is not the case.

naturalmom86
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:09 PM

I don't think its selfish at all. If you feel complete with one child than why not? I only have one as well.

Quoting AmelieH:

I have been told that only having/wanting one child is selfish.  Do you agree with this?  If so, what are your reasons?

Please do not bash.  I have to go pick up my son from his sitters, and I would like to see the answers when I get back without this being deleted.  thanks :)

EmisMommy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:10 PM

I don't think so at all!   I have 2 children and there are definitely times that I miss the quality time I had with my daughter when it was just her and me (oh, hubby too! LOL)

My BIL and SIL don't ever want kids, and I don't even think that is selfish. You do what feels right for you.

MommaRose98
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:11 PM

I don't think it's selfish. Only you know what your reasons are for not having more than one child. I have one brother and he lived with my mother and I lived with my grandmother. When I was growing up it didn't seem to matter too much. I did miss having friends to play with sometimes. I was really spoiled because I was the only one...I considered that an advantage. Now that I am older, I really really miss not having sisters and brothers. My brother and I aren't that close and it is a lonely adult life. I especially miss it around holidays and such. Everyone has to do what is right for them. Just think a little further into the future before you make a decision.

Mommy2_two
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I don't think it is selfish. Your child does NOT need to have a sibling to be a happy well adjusted child.

LuvmySFSGT
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:13 PM

It is absolutely not selfish.

What is selfish is making the choice to have more children then you can afford..

Teeshann
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:13 PM

only wanting one child isn't selfish. i think it's a bummer for the kid not to have siblings. only cuz growing up my brother and sisters were and still are my best friends. so to me having siblings is a big deal and want those kind of relationships for my kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)