Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are you doing to cut back?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:08 PM
  • 5 Replies

My hubby is taking a pay cut and we need to cut back but do not have alot of extra's like a car payment or cell phones. We do have cable and internet. We do have a visa debt but hopefully we can most paid down with our tax return this year. We have a mortgage and and a Equity loan around $5000. Any suggestions on cutting costs? I do not cut coupons which I guess I should help but any other ways of cutting back?? Whats everyone doing these days to cut costs??

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Plan your meals around what's on sale at the grocery store.  Stick to your list.  No impulse buys.

Cook as much from scratch as you can.

I would cancel cable if hubs would let me.  We don't need it. 

I go to the library instead of buying books.

I wash and re-use baggies as long as they did not contain raw meat.

Also if you have a really cheap grocery store nearby, that is a great help.

We are still hurting so I need to start cutting back even more.

I'm a toe-stubbing, coffee drinking, loud laughing, chocolate addicted, chunky mom with a totally inappropriate sense of humor.
Educated moms don't ASSume that parenting choices are one size fits all.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:14 PM

I use some coupons but usually the store brand is cheaper than the name brand even with the coupon. Some things I buy the name brand (diapers mainly) and ALWAYS use a coupon for thoes (I found $1 off pampers coupons in a machine thing at the grocery store so I took like 8 lol).

I also shop with the ad. If chicken is on sale then we eat chicken that week..if it was pork then thats what we would eat. I also shop alot of mark down stuff. Mainly meat that there isn't anything wrong with but it was just there when they put new stuff out so it gets marked down. I freeze stuff so it really doesn't matter to us...just saves us money.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:24 PM

well for starters, going green has allowed us to cut back.

I have been "Green-izing" my home since Jan. of '08.

We use super concentrated all natural, non toxic house hold cleaners

We switched from using paper towels to using wash cloths for napkins and cleaning. (got a 25 pack for $5 at KMart) or you can even get some from the dollar store.

We use toilet paper from recycled paper.

I make my own baby wipes.

When my son was really little, I made my own babyfood and breastfed.

We use store brand diapers on our son except for night, he uses Pampers Cruisers or Huggies Overnights (whichever is on sale)

When I buy juice for our son, I freeze it in ice trays and then place the cubes in a freezer bag. My son only gets 1-2 cubes mixed with water a day.

We started using the engergy saving light bulbs and using cold water when we wash clothes.

I hang my clothes outside on nice days

We keep all the lights off during the day until about 8pm in the summer and 5pm in the winter, and only have the light on in the room we are in.

We recycle everything possible and reuse what we can

We open windows and doors for air instead of use the air-conditioner. We keep the heat on 71 (our walls and floor aren't insulated so anything under 70 is really cold)

We started using a filtered water pitcher instead of buying bottled water...cause our city water is NASTY!!!!

We use coupons, make a weekly menue so we only have to go to the store once a week. We buy only what's on sale or store brand.

I use eco-friendly shopping bags. 5 cents  per bag is deducted from our bill. 

We do all our errands on one day to save on gas.

I burn soy candles, so I don't have to buy new ones often. These last a lot longer and the wax is never wasted.

We don't have a home phone, we just use our cell phones and mine is the only one we have to pay for since hubby's work pays for his.

All I have, all I am, all I ever will be, is because of you, Lord!

I am a 100% pro-life, wife, church goin Christain, choir singin, recycling, natural products user, vaccinating, non co-sleepin, CIO method user, soy milk drinking, organic milk givin, coffee drinking, dog lovin, schedule stickin to, vitamin givin/takin, soy candle burning, as Green as I can get, WAHM.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Budget...budget....budget......everything from gas to grocery's to bills. Look back at the last few months at the money you have spent and decide what was unnecessary (or keep all receipts this month). You will be surprised at the money you waste. Everytime my husband gets paid...we sit down and figure out where every dollar goes. Then we stick to it. If we only have 100 for food then we only spend that...same with gas, eating out, ect. It works. We overspent during christmas but we just start over. It keeps us out of debt cuz we only use the money we have. Good luck! If you need help, pm me and I will walk you thru my method.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:26 PM

We have been doing our grocery shopping at Aldi, which has helped a lot. Cut out going out to eat to twice a month and I pack lunches for my dd and I when we are out on play dates.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)