Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

school safety situation~~~ guess not enough drama

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:19 PM
  • 6 Replies

Jordan is in the ese class at his school, has been since halfway thru kindergarten in second now. It has been up and down with his behavior. Last year was a total disaster, suspended 3 times, spent weeks in the alternative room and the time out room. with that said Jordan did not just walk up and get in someones face and start fights he would react to people saying things to him about him or being told to do things that were hard or not comfortable for him ( ot, pe and music). with that said he took the discipline and complained but learned and this year he has had a great year( only 3 days not perfect in the point system they use at his school)

There is a boy who is super active and has a bit of attitude ( see jordan in this kid when he first started school and allso in second year of kindergarten and see the changes from last year for this boy) will call him Ken for this. There is a new student this month inthe class that is Jordan last year and Ken this year combined into one with one exception: this boy loves to fight. Will just walk up and start crap with you till you put him place by beating him back better hen e gave to you. Well newboy walks up to G( biggest boy in class) and started with him and G promptly gave it back and spent the day in the allternative room as a result but newboy doesnt mess with him anymore. New boy goes to D and starts with him and before the teacher can get there D whipps the newboys butt. But the teacher admits she didnt see anything happen she was in the office and the aide in the room was putting Kens jacket on him for pe and says she didnt see anything. well this leaves newboy 2 targets Ken and Jordan. well lets say he no longer has those too either ( Newboy came to school on the 8th of this month) Today at breakfast NB took Kens food, slapped him and punched him in the face. Had to write a witness statement about what happened as I was siting next to NB and Ken and Jordan and Jordans girlfriend Julie. Ken did not get in trouble as he was more then provocted(SP) by NB. Well coming to get Jordan I hear him screaming and go to the door to get him and find out whats going on. Well his teacher said the NB started on Jordan about Julie to which Jordan said whatever and tried to walk away but NB grabbed jordans jacket and pulled him backwards and he hit the doorframe with his head. Jordan went off on NB and punched him twice with one connecting to NBs eye. Then Jordan immediately started crying that he was a failure for actually punching Nb. Teacher said NB started it and deserved what he got ( little suprised by that statement but Jordan is her fav. kid and she is upfront abut it). This boy is so so mean to everyone and tries to start fights with everyone but she said that Jordan shouldn't be punished for punching nb in the eye. I am worried he hurt the boy. I don't know if there will be a write up tomorrow plus she said she had grabbed on to nb when Jordan hit him but clouldn't stop th contact. should I punish Jordan for the fight, let it go, or go off on Mom for not trying to help him in the least by taking him to dr or working with the behavor team at school/she said boys will be boys and there is nothing wrong with him that a few years growing up won't fix.

Jordan did not even recieve a small lump on his head from hitting the door frame and I do not know if the other boy was hurt ut didnt seem like it frm the way he was threatening my son when I  took him from the teacher while the para held nb back.

those were the suggestions from another post on safety in the class room. also remember these are kids in special ed classroom and there is a teacher and a para for the 5 and maybe 6 after this week another possible new kid next week. What would you do? I will tell you what I did to my son after I hear responses from yall

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
elananme
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:50 PM

I would make te school get involved obviously this boy is in trouble and one day he is going to pick a fight with the wrong boy.  as far as your son i dont know that i would punish she he was defending himself but i would make sure he understood that fighting is not the way to solve the problem.  i might do like a one day grounding for possiblyy causing injury but that would be it.  i hope you figure out the problem before this other boy causes some one some serious harm

http://www.cafemom.com/group/83206/ Kiddie swaps tell i reffered you

www.cafemom.com/group/83950 mommyswaps Let em know I sent you!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/93522 Moms of Twirlers.

momaloveof3
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:55 PM

IT was very hard to follow.

But a little punishment is ok for your son.  He did hit someone and that is not ok.  So maybe he has to write something or get something take away for a day. 

JANEDOE5683
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:56 PM

I WOULD NOT PUNISH JORDAN, MAYBE MAKE HIM WRITE A LETTER TO THE CHILDS PARENTS SO HE CAN GIVE HIS SIDE TO THE STORY AND EXPLAIN WHY THEIR SON GOT HURT.  AND THAT WOULD ALLOW HIM TO GET IT OUT ON PAPER AND MAYBE NOT FEEL SO GUILTY FOR HITTING A KID THAT WAS HITTING HIM.  I THINK THIS WOULD BE A GREAT IDEA, NOW LETS HEAR WHAT YOU DID!

Jackie06
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:57 PM

I don't agree with fighting but I do believe a child has a right to defend themselves so I think I would be trying to explain that to my child and make sure it's clear but I don't agree with the boys will be boys thing.

mooremom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Anytime there is a problem in a classroom, I believe the teacher should be informed/spoken to first. Can you set up a meeting with her, para and whoever else is concerned?

ChaoticX4
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:04 PM

I had a hard time following too but form what i gather the boy got what was coming and the other shouldnt be punished for sticking up for himself. He was hurt and then defended himself. Wouldnt be fair for him to get in trouble for that.

Quoting momaloveof3:

IT was very hard to follow.

But a little punishment is ok for your son.  He did hit someone and that is not ok.  So maybe he has to write something or get something take away for a day. 

Group chat time is 8pm eastern/7pm Central 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)