Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you only want/have one child? Advice please!

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:22 PM
  • 35 Replies

Sooo..just a question for the moms that decided to only have 1 child.  What made you decided to only have one?  Do  you regret only having one or are you happy??

My husband and I keep going back and forth with having 1 child or having 2.  My daughter is only 7 month old so no way are we thinking of another child right now anyway but we both want just our one but then we think that maybe we should just have 2...

Honestly, I don't really know if I want to go through the having another kid but...I don't know just looking for stories or advice or something from mom's who only decided to  have one child.  

Thank you!! 

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
A.J.s_mommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Some people say that i am selfish, but I only want 1 child! he is 17months.  If the Lord would like for me to have another one...then I guess it will happen, but I really only want 1.

ceciliam
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:24 PM

I only have my one son, who is 3 years old. I always thought I would have at least 2 but it took me a long time to get pregnant with him and I am a month a way from turning 36, so I am good with just having my one son.

If anything, we may consider adoption in the future.

I Love Diaper Cakes!

evaleesmom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:24 PM

i am am only child. i dont know exactly why they decided. but they tell me its cause i always said i didnt want any pros or sis.

tagable
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:26 PM

We have only one and not by our choice.  We have had some fertility problems and are about to start fertility drugs.  I thought we would be ok with just one, but our son who is now nearly 8 is really lonesome as we live rurally so he doesn't have friends next door, he is homeschooled and has a ton of friends in our coop and at church and at other activities but it's not the same.  He sees how close my DH is with his siblings (he's the oldest of 4) and I think he wants his own brother or sister, so we are going to try and give him one..... I feel bad for my only sometimes, but he has been able to have things that we might not have been able to afford if there had been another so it is a trade off.

You don't like me..... I don't care!  I am a non-booster seat using, homeschooling, against Obama, for McCain, totally spanking, co-sleeping, vaccinating, toys everywhere (and I don't care), everyday spoiling, bitch that's willing to fight for whats right!  I am also a dually driving, trailer house living, 4-wheeler and horse riding, gun toting, smoking, social drinking, church going, God Fearing, proud to be from the south, working Momma to a 7 yr old little Man,  wife to a Mississippi REDNECK and Damn PROUD of it all!!!!!! Now that we have that straight.... nice to meet ya!

sweetdragoness
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:26 PM

My one and only is 7 and we still really have no desire to have any more

jaedynmoon
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:28 PM

I wish you luck and I hope the fertility treatments work to bless you with another baby!

Quoting tagable:

We have only one and not by our choice.  We have had some fertility problems and are about to start fertility drugs.  I thought we would be ok with just one, but our son who is now nearly 8 is really lonesome as we live rurally so he doesn't have friends next door, he is homeschooled and has a ton of friends in our coop and at church and at other activities but it's not the same.  He sees how close my DH is with his siblings (he's the oldest of 4) and I think he wants his own brother or sister, so we are going to try and give him one..... I feel bad for my only sometimes, but he has been able to have things that we might not have been able to afford if there had been another so it is a trade off.

bobbyomommy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:28 PM

My husband and I are having the same discussion. Bobby is now 13 months old. I Let' sjust say that I think it is good to have two. I would love to have more if the economy was better and we lived in simpler times.

Haha, but what if we go for that 2nd one and have 6! Kate plus 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

OMG, I feel so bad for her, she always looks so mad!

bobbyomommy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Quoting A.J.s_mommy:

Some people say that i am selfish, but I only want 1 child! he is 17months.  If the Lord would like for me to have another one...then I guess it will happen, but I really only want 1.

That is so far from being selfish!

liamsmom31908
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:30 PM

you kno i always said i only wanted one child even up to the point of having ds(hes 10 months) i even remember saying i would NEVER have another child again while i was in labor, but then i had my ds, held him looked in his eyes and that feeling was the best feeling i have ever had. we we brought him home and he was snuggled against me nursing i knew i wanted another..... now dh wants 2 our boy and a lil girl, personally i want 3 boys!!!!!! lol dh said if after next one we dont get a girl then we will try once more, granted we plan on waiting until ds is 2 1/2 before trying again but i cant wait to have more children what ever will be will be good luck momma, but if u truly only want one child then cherish ur LO and if u ever change your mind then its never too late!

jaedynmoon
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:31 PM

haha now you have me scared!! lol  I know it;s like part of me wants to have 2 and then the other part of me doesn't want to go through it again because I had such a hard time with my daughter as a newborn with really bad colic and reflux...I think I'm just scared lol 

Quoting bobbyomommy:

My husband and I are having the same discussion. Bobby is now 13 months old. I think that you need to hav 2 to even you out as a mother. With one kid, you are too protective and make over them too much. My friends that only have one are...well....

Let' sjust say that I think it is good to have two. I would love to have more if the economy was better and we lived in simpler times.

Haha, but what if we go for that 2nd one and have 6! Kate plus 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

OMG, I feel so bad for her, she always looks so mad!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)