Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't decide whether to keep being a SAHM or go back to work?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:23 PM
  • 4 Replies

For the last year or so I have wanted to go back to work (mostly for financial reasons), but fortunately most of our financial concerns have been handled and now I have to decide for myself.  Last year I would have gratefully taken a position but my job was on a hiring freeze.   Out of the blue last week they called and offered me a position.  

Here's the thing, it's a job share which means I only would work half of a full time position.   However, they could work me up to 40 hours a week.  For the most part I would be working when my hubby is at home, and if not they would be at grandmas.  

I'm SOOO torn.  

PROS:

A much needed break from my kiddos

Returing to the adult world for the first time in nearly 3 1/2 years

Additional money always helps

Feeling productive and challenged

CONS:

My job is EXTREMELY stressful, I am a 911, police dispatcher

I am afraid I will really miss my kiddos

I would really miss having so much time with my hubby

I have really bad back issues and am not sure how it would hold up to me working

Those are just a few along with a million other little things.  Of course, hubby says, "Whatever you feel is right"   UGH, MEN!!!!  

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
EmisMommy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:32 PM

ANYONE????

momaloveof3
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Just start out doing the half days.  But don't do the 40hours a week do the 20 hrs and see how that feels.

kaker104
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:34 PM

If I could go back to my old job, I would. But we live out of state now.

MamaCass1219
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:37 PM

I can't tell you what to do, you have to decide whats best for you . I know if I was in your position that I would continue staying home. Kids are only small for such a short while. They  need you now, and you will have forever to work once they are a little older and in school .

Thats just my opinion and thats why I plan on being home at least untill my youngest is off to school :) Good luck and I hope whatever decision you make, makes you happy :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)