Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about depression.

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:34 PM
  • 10 Replies

This may sound stupid but how do you know if you're depressed?

Group Admin to: WTF

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SDbabe
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Bumping myself.

TraciH
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:45 PM

you would feel lonely, even with loved ones around you. you wouldn't sleep well. you wouldn't want to go out with friends. you may not feel like eating much. i think it's different for everyone. i went into a depression years ago. i cried all the time and i felt so guilty that i was shutting people out. i just wanted to die. thankfully, i kicked myself in the butt(without meds!) and i am proud to say that i am a positive, happy person today. do you have anyone you can talk to? don't shut people out, let them help you. i wish you the best.

1509-TraciH-1.gif picture by music91194

Lvlyshawn
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:48 PM

If you are asking that question you are probably depressed.  I was diagnosed because I was sleeping alot, couldn't find the motivation to do simple things... The Dr. prescribed an anti depressant but I chose to find alternatives. I exercise more and find comfort in my faith. If you feel you are depressed please see someone about it.

aridattebayo
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:51 PM

As someone above said, if you're asking if you are depressed, more than likely you are.

Sleeping issues (either too much/too little), eating issues (too much/too little), hopeless feelings, physical symptoms, feelings of doubt/despair, anxiety -- all signs of depression.

Please look into getting help if you are depressed. I've been depressed since I was a teenager (was finally diagnosed dysthymic at 23), and its horrible. :(

~~

\m/ ((^^)) \m/ <--my lil headbanger metal girl <3

Ari, proud single mommy to Arianna, 1/15/07

"for hope I'd give my everything" & "But first I need to learn to love me too"

A.J.s_mommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:52 PM

I agree...get help asap!

Quoting aridattebayo:

As someone above said, if you're asking if you are depressed, more than likely you are.

Sleeping issues (either too much/too little), eating issues (too much/too little), hopeless feelings, physical symptoms, feelings of doubt/despair, anxiety -- all signs of depression.

Please look into getting help if you are depressed. I've been depressed since I was a teenager (was finally diagnosed dysthymic at 23), and its horrible. :(

autumnsmommy02
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:54 PM

Always feeling to tired or unmotivated to do things you need to do. Not being interested in things you normally love to do. Racing thoughts, tired but can't fall asleep, feeling sad and/or lonely. Wanting to eat constantly or never.

Here's a few online tests:

http://psychcentral.com/depquiz.htm

http://www.lexapro.com/check_symptoms/dep_screener.aspx?WT.srch=1&PlacementGUID=5CF94253-05F5-4B80-9152-965D09D4E176

http://www.webmd.com/depression/depression-symptom-quiz

SDbabe
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Thanks ladies, I was starting to think I was talking to myself.  The thing is that I've had no energy what so ever to do anything, it's beyond just being lazy.  I just don't feel like doing anything.  I've been eating everything and I can't keep it under control (I've never had this problem).  I also want to sleep all the time but I have problems sleeping.  I don't know.  I don't feel depressed, I just don't feel like myself if that makes sense.

starrynight819
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:01 PM

I have MDD. (Major Depressive Disorder) while its great that some people battle their depression with alternatives, because my depression is an ACTUAL chemical imbalance I HAVE to take meds.

Depression can be passed down gentically, or it can be purely enviromental. (your home situation, etc.)

Signs of depression include:

excessive sleeping, or not sleeping at all

excessive energy then swinging to being in a total sour mood (bipolar)

not finding happiness in something that used to make you feel excited. (for example, have you noticed that your no longer interested in doing your favorite things?)

decreased sex drive

excessive crying

thoughts of suicide, OR homicide

eating WAY too much or WAY too little

feeling apathetic about your health

there are SO many types of depression. i recommend you seek help, or talk to your family doctor about finding a psychologist she trusts.

GL mama, although some depression is NOT curable, ALL are treatable!

pregnancy

Brooke501
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Quoting SDbabe:

Thanks ladies, I was starting to think I was talking to myself.  The thing is that I've had no energy what so ever to do anything, it's beyond just being lazy.  I just don't feel like doing anything.  I've been eating everything and I can't keep it under control (I've never had this problem).  I also want to sleep all the time but I have problems sleeping.  I don't know.  I don't feel depressed, I just don't feel like myself if that makes sense.

These all sound like signs of depression but you should see your doctor in case it is something else. He can also help you if you are indeed depressed.

Heartlight617
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:03 PM
When I found myself wondering first thing in the morning,"How long til I can go back to bed?" I dreaded facing the day! I couldn't sleep,was unable concentrate,and if someone was talking to me I could hear them, but couldn't begin to tell you what they were saying. It's called overload. We had just been through alot with our son having neurosurgery and being rehospitalized for complications, so I called my MD to get in and get diagnosed.He thought I was depressed, too. He suggested a Rx that helped me greatly.
Carol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)