Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need some credit help Ladies! PLEASE!!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:49 PM
  • 12 Replies

I need some help. I just turned 18 (on Sunday) and was online looking for a new cell phone plan to get in my name because I don't have one and I am away from home alot so it worries me. What if my car broke down (which has happened to me before) or if (God forbid) something happened to my son while I was gone and nobody could get ahold of me. Anyways I picked out the phone and plan I wanted. It was going to cost $100.00 for the phone and $39.99/month. So I went through all the steps of information needed...name, address,SS#, etc. And then it said they found a mortage in my name in March 2004. It then asked me the name of the company I borrowed the money from and selcted none of the above because there was no other opinions except companies. Then it asked how much my month payments were on my loan and again I selected none of the above. It then asked me what credit card I had in my name and I AGIAN selected none of the above! So then it went on to the next step and it said I could no longer get the phone for $100.00 and $39.99/month but $417.00 an $49.99/month!! So this scared me and I went to freecreditreport.com. I typed in all my info and it asked me again about a mortage and a credit card. Then finally it brought up my credit report. Under Credit Summary this is what it looked like:

Real Estate

Count 0 Balance $0.00 Current 0 Delinquent 0 Other 0

Revolving

Current Account(s)

Count 1 Balance $663.00 Current 0 Delinquent 0 Other 0

Installments

Other

Collections

Current Account(s)

Count 1 Balance $903.00 Current 0 Delinquent 0 Other 0

All Accounts

Current Account(s)

Count 2 Balance $1,566.00 Current 0 Delinquent 0 Other 0

It says my credit score is 544. I have NO idea what this is and or how bad it is affecting my credit! I REALLY need this credit because eventually I want to buy a house and a car for my family. I really need some help to know what to do ladies. Please anything you can come up with will be helpful because I really have no idea what to do or think. If you can't help could you please bump for me! Thank you ladies!

I'm an 18 year old single mommy to my 3 year old son, Carter. I go to High School and I am a senior! (class of 2009 baby!) When I'm not at school I work to support myself and my son. I am pro-life, spanking (sometimes), CIO, co-sleeping, formula feeding, disposable diapering, vaccinating, single mommy. I work hard and I love my son! If you don't like tough because it's my life and my son... not yours! Put on your big girl panties and suck it!

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starrynight819
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:52 PM

I need help with credit just to get a HOME for my family. I'm eighteen too. Credit is effin confusing. so i will follow and give you a bump

pregnancy

carter210
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Thanks for the bump!

Quoting starrynight819:

I need help with credit just to get a HOME for my family. I'm eighteen too. Credit is effin confusing. so i will follow and give you a bump

SaturnsFire
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:58 PM

It looks like someone stole your identity.    I am 23 and I have bad credit. Find out why all this is on your report. There is NO WAY you could have gotten a mortgage when you were 14 or whatever.  Good luck! You can always get a TRAC PHONE.  you can get one in walmart or kmart. you buy the phone and minutes to put on it. Iwould do that if you cant get approved for a phone.

mygirlKyra
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Well first off are those debts yours?  If so then try to find a way to start paying them off or at least down.  If they are not your debts you need to contest it.  When you get your credit report there is a link on the web page where you can contest it.  None of that debt is actual mortgage or real estate.  You have a revolving accout (think credit card) that has a balance of $663.  You also have a collections account of $903.  Now since I don't know you I do not know what they are but you should be able to see where the accounts are from.  Most likely why you were unable to get the cell phone was because of the "high" balance of the collections account.  Also I didn't see the dates of the accounts or how long the revolving account was open and that has a lot to do with your credit.  Look on msn.com under the money tab and type in a search about credit scores you should get some decent articles. 

Also if you are looking to build your credit I would apply for a no annual fee credit card.  The interest rate may be high but, if you use it for say gas in your car and then pay the bill off monthly this can help.  However do to the economy it is going to be tough.  Good luck momma.  Do you have anyone that would go on a plan with you?

If you have any other questions feel free to message me and I will help if I can.  I struggled with my credit for a while but am on the track to cleaning it up. 

MonicasMommy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:01 PM

First of all go to annualcreditreport.com it is free (unlike freecreditreport.com) request your credit report from each of the three bureaus and then it will tell you what companies these are through. Print out your credit report and then if there is stuff on there that is not yours you need to file a dispute (the link will be on the left side of the screen) then you need to contact your local police department. My hubby had his identity stolen (by his mother) and we have been dealing with this for 5+ years. Once you do all that, if you still need help feel free to message me and I will help you.

rphmommy08
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:02 PM

you MUST call someone and let them know. you need to get this taken care of right away.

carter210
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:10 PM

No those debts are not mine. I have never applied for anything. I will look for th place on the website to contest them. And do you think with my credit score I could get a credit card? I know they will build up credit but I wasn't sure if I would be able to get approved for one!

Quoting mygirlKyra:

Well first off are those debts yours?  If so then try to find a way to start paying them off or at least down.  If they are not your debts you need to contest it.  When you get your credit report there is a link on the web page where you can contest it.  Also if you are looking to build your credit I would apply for a no annual fee credit card.  The interest rate may be high but, if you use it for say gas in your car and then pay the bill off monthly this can help.  However do to the economy it is going to be tough.  Good luck momma.  Do you have anyone that would go on a plan with you?

Tarra30
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:14 PM

this happned to my mil, go into the store and talk to them, u may also need to check your credit, maybe someone used ur name. u can get a free credit report once a yr. good luck

The love of my life, my boyskite

mygirlKyra
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Okay since the debts are not yours you need to dispute them.  Find the link and do this.  Second look for a credit card called the pearl card, try this link www.wbbankcard.com I don't know your financial info so I couldn't tell you for sure but it would be a place to start.  (P.S I edited my other post so there is a little more info)

carter210
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:30 PM

OK I disputed those 2 things on my report.

Quoting mygirlKyra:

Okay since the debts are not yours you need to dispute them.  Find the link and do this.  Second look for a credit card called the pearl card, try this link http://www.wbbankcard.com/ I don't know your financial info so I couldn't tell you for sure but it would be a place to start.  (P.S I edited my other post so there is a little more info)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)