Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So what do you do when baby doesn't want to sleep on back???? * edit..poll fixed!!

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:49 PM
  • 56 Replies

Poll

Question: Did you put baby on belly to sleep????

Options:

Yes (but don't tell anyone!)

No (baby must ALWAYS be on back to sleep!!)

Other.....for some reason people always have an other!!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 76

View Results

My ds is 3 weeks old. He absolutly will not stay asleep on his back!!! Most of the time I end up having to hold him while he sleeps......so I have asked family for opinions and they have all said that if he prefers sleeping on his belly to let him! As long as I keep fluffy blankets and toys away from him, of course. What do you ladies think about this????

Please no bashing, and I will be on a little later to see what you all think!

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baly2001
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:51 PM

When my children where babies they would not sleep on there backs at all. If anyone was going to get any sleep then I or my husband would have to put them on there tummys.

jahvarzionmomma
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:53 PM

He slept on his belly and had a pillow!

amber_ledford08
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:54 PM

Alright the mommy police are gonna come after me, BUT I let my babies sleep with a pillow on their bellies. DS is 2 and a half and DD is 1. Neither would sleep on their backs. They would wake up as soon as I put them down. I didn't vote bc there wasn't one for the belly sleeping.

Cute Text by The Doll Palace / Click to edit
sarah3-CO
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Your poll doesn't make any sense. But as to your question, both of my girls HATED sleeping on their backs and both slept on their bellies just fine. If the baby is sleeping fine and breathing ok, I don't see a problem with belly sleeping.

unclemomma
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:57 PM

my dd has always been a tummy sleeper even now that she is in the toddler bed,

milmiracle
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:58 PM

whatever happened to putting him on his side?  I did that. 

TheresaMomof9

Try this--have baby sleep in his car seat. There's a nice angle so no danger of suffocating. They're usually comfy as a bug in a rug in that position, and they feel 'snuggled' and hugged all night. The only thing is, he may get a little 'pad head' in one spot. But no worries. That goes away once he gets into a bed.

Try that and then try the back again in a couple weeks. This position has saved me many times. And technically they are on their backs so it's safest!

FWIW, when I first started having kids the drs. said "on the tummy only!" so I did that. Then they said, "Put 'em on their sides." So I did that. With the last few they recommended "Put 'em on their backs". I did that, but a few of them resisted, as yours does. My happy answer was the carseat thing. Just don't keep him in that too long--they do grow out of that position, but usually will go nicely into a bed by then. Good luck

T>

Kahana-ri

Mine slept on their bellies and loved it.  It's more natural and cozy for babies.

sobreezy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Both my kids slept on their stomaches and they are 6 & 2 now! You have to do whatever u are comfortable with and what will let everyone get the best sleep! Good luck!          Bree

mrsfiles1206
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Myunderstanding is it is called SIDs because no one really knows for sure what cuases it.  It is just the best guess that sleeping on their backs prevents this.  The baby has to sleep.  Maybe you can get one of those alarm things that you put in the crib that monitors the baby breathing just to give you some peace of mind.  I don't know what they are called but I think they have them at babies r us. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)