Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

no more bottle!?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:00 PM
  • 7 Replies

i have a 17 month old son that still wakes up at night for his bottle. his doctor told me that i should defenetly take it away. i've tried but it's hard. . . during the day he has no problem drinking from his zippy cup but it's at night && during nap time when he wants his bottle. . . any advice moms??? 

UPDATE: last night i wen't to the market && bout him a new zippy cup. . . i gave it to him at night time && told him that that's his new bottle[[he calls it teta]] he didn't like it at first, i struggled a little but he finally fell asleep!!!! =]] i was soo happy && excited! my husband && ii gave each other a high five! lol thanx a lot moms!!!!!!!!

evelyn<33

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ErikaM27
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:01 PM

you have to keep trying. If you want him off then don't give in you can give him a zippy cup instead of the bottle eventually he'll stop wanting his bottle..

Profile Comments
itsnotaboutm765
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Just take them away and don't look back.lol we took away the bottle 3 days ago and she is crnky but its getting better.

NEED A CHANGE!? FOLLOW ME!

ashleehoward
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Just take them away and throw them in the dumpster. He shouldnt be drinking anything at naptime or bedtime. I took my boys off of the bottle and formula at 10 months,and they were just fine. Even if they did cry,it wasnt for long

Lori2929
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:10 PM

ok my son was almost 2years ,and took a bottle only at night.This is what you do....HAVE YOU AND YOUR SON THROW BOTTLES AND NIPPLES AWAY TOGATHER. TELL HIM BEFORE THAT HE A BIG BOY,LETS THROW AWAY THE BOTTLES..GET HIM EXCITED! THEN THE NEXT DAY WHEN THE GARBAGE MAN COMES AND TAKES THE GARBAGE IN THE TRUCK. YOU WAVE BYE.mY SON AND I DID THIS,THE NEXT DAY MY SON ASKED ME .MOM CAN U CALL THE GARBAGE MAN,I WANT THE BOTTLE.SO CUTE.i SAID NO HONEY.IT WORKED FOR ME! TRYgood

shelljeff
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Give him a Nuby sippy cup at night and nap.  This was an easy transition for my daughter.  I took hers away at a year.

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
MsDrama
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:16 PM

I never had this problem because my babies threw down their bottle at 10 and half months and 11 months. Once they gave up their bottle I would just give them a drink in a sippy cup and then after they got done drinking they would lay down and go to sleep.

The binky was another story though!! I thought I would never get it away from my oldest!!

mamamissy316
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:22 PM

OP, I wouldn't really follow this advice.  I'm sure she means well, but the fact that she took her child off of formula at 10 months would definitely make me question her judgement.  I thought everyone knew that it wasn't safe or healthy for a baby to drink cows milk until their first birthday.

I would also like to say that I don't agree with the statement that it's not ok to drink anything at naptime or bedtime.  Unless you are actively potty training, a little drink of milk before bed isn't going to hurt him. 

My advice to you would be to make the mid-night bottle less appealing.  Either offer him the milk in a sippy cup, or give him the bottle with water in it instead of milk.  And if you don't mind fighting a battle for a few nights, you could always just cut him off cold turkey.  Some would argue that is mean, but it's really up to your discretion.  Either way, good luck!

Just take them away and throw them in the dumpster. He shouldnt be drinking anything at naptime or bedtime. I took my boys off of the bottle and formula at 10 months,and they were just fine. Even if they did cry,it wasnt for long

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)