Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do all moms with GD have big babies?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:22 PM
  • 89 Replies

seams like i hear alot of moms that say that had that with there baby and there baby was 9  or 10 lbs, so my question is this..

How come they are so big, when you have to be put on a diet, i would understand if you ate as if you didnt have it, but i got put on a diet, i absoultly hate it, a piece of freakin bread and a egg, and a girl can only have so much eggs, peanut butter and cheese, please, lol

but yeah, back to what i was saying why do they come out big even while mom is on a diet? I dont get it.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Crystallynn
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:24 PM

I never had GD an my dd was 9lbs 5.4oz

ishmay28
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:25 PM

I had gd. They had me on a controlled diet and my ds came out 7lbs3oz.......I hated that dang diet too, but I guess it worked!!!

boyx3
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:26 PM

I had GD with both pregnancies, Insulin injections and all.  My first son was 4.12 @36 weeks and the twins were 4.11 & 4.1 @ 34 weeks. So in my experience, no...not big at all!

dragonfly80608
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:26 PM

I had gd with both my kids and my dd was 7 lbs 13 ozs., ds was 8 lbs, 1 oz (only 4 ozs bigger and typically they say second child is 1/2 lb bigger) so no all gd babies don't have to be big!!!!

lilbuggy53108
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Hope this helps my Bestfriend just had her son today!!!!.She had GD and gave birth to a 10lb 9oz. baby boy

These days, most women who develop diabetes during pregnancy go on to have healthy babies. Your practitioner will monitor you closely and you'll most likely be able to keep your blood sugar levels under control with diet and exercise, and by getting insulin shots if you need them. But poorly controlled diabetes can have serious consequences for you and your baby.

For most women with gestational diabetes, the main worry is that too much glucose will end up in the baby's blood. When that happens, your baby's pancreas needs to produce more insulin to process the extra glucose. All this excess blood sugar and insulin can cause your baby to make more fat and put on extra weight, particularly in the upper body.

This can lead to what's called
macrosomia. A macrosomic baby may be too large to enter the birth canal. Or the baby's head may enter the canal but then his shoulders get stuck. In this situation, called shoulder dystocia, your practitioner and her assistants will have to use special maneuvers to deliver your baby. Delivery can sometimes result in a fractured bone or nerve damage, both of which heal without permanent problems in nearly 99 percent of babies. (In very rare cases, the baby may suffer brain damage from lack of oxygen during this process.) What's more, the maneuvers needed to deliver a broad-shouldered baby can lead to injuries to the vaginal area or require a large episiotomy for you

Gestational Diabetes: Causes, Diagnosis & Treatment | BabyCenter

SerasVictoria83
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:30 PM

I never had gd and my dd was 9 lbs 12 oz. You just never can tell.

ahawes
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:32 PM

OK I MUST BE STUPID BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT A GD IS?

having chocolatetreadmilltoddler boy
I'm a non cosleeping, disposable diapering, non-cio, chocolate lover, vaccinating, going to the gym, tv watching, circumcising, pit-bull owning, scrapbooking, camera ready, front facing car seat, non-boobie momma to a very active cute little man! 

Mama27ddjp
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Me either!

Quoting ahawes:

OK I MUST BE STUPID BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT A GD IS?

HBell
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:37 PM

I had it when I was pregnant and my baby came out 7lbs 5 oz. I followed everything the doc told me to do!  My step mom is pregnant now and has gestational diabetes, from what she says the doctors think her baby will weigh between 12 and 15 lbs and she doesn't follow the diets or anything, so who knows!!

soccerchik8287
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:37 PM

I do not have GD, but I do have type 1 diabetes and the reason babies are usually big is the same. It is because anytime your blood sugar goes above like 120, your blood has more sugar than it should in it, and that extra sugar gets passed on to your baby. This causes your baby to get bigger. During my pregnancy I only had my blood sugar go above the number they said like twice (or at least only knew it was that high from checking my sugar), but still my daughter was 8lbs 11ounces at 37 weeks. So even if you go off your diet for one meal and pig out your baby will be getting extra sugar causing it to be bigger. (Hopefully that makes sense!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)