Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just Curious (piog)

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:53 PM
  • 1 Replies

I know that I live in the smallest state in the country, nothing really happens here so it isn't ever in the news or anything but why don't people know it exists?    Yesterday my husband had to make an off route stop (he is a truck driver and is back and forth as far south as Maryland, this was in New Jersey) and was talking to someone and they asked him if he was from New York, he said no I'm from Rhode Island and the woman was like " oh I didn't realize you guys thought of yourself as a different place, you do know you belong to the state of New York" she giggled and my husband said no we are a different state all together, she walked away laughing thinking he was busting her chops.   This isn't the first time.  I have gone on vacations and people have absolutely no clue where we are from.   I get Long Island all the time, upstate New York is another one,  one person thought we were actually from an island and asked us how we get to and from the mainland.    I actually had to tell this one woman "you know when you look at the map and you see New York and there are a bunch of states to the east of it?,   Well that is New England"   She was like "oh yeah I know that Massachusetts is over there", I said yes and that little itty bitty state under Massachusetts, that is Rhode Island"   "Oh", she said "I thought that was that Cape Cod and Nantucket place people visit".    Sorry just annoyed I was on the phone today with a woman trying to get info on returning something I got in the mail and I had to spell out the state because she couldn't find it in her computer!  

Leni - Wife, Mom and NASCAR Fan

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
krista778
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:59 PM

People are way ignorant on geography! I get asked why I speak English so well, I'm from New Mexico. I guess they don't realize taht the state between Arizona and Texas is part of the USA!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)