Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't know how to cook dinner.. .lol

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:57 PM
  • 20 Replies

Ok heres the deal.  I went to the store the other day and bought a roast. I  pulled it out last night, and put it in the fridge and it's nice and thawed and ready to cook.  Its a 2 lb Top Round roast.  I didn't mean to buy a top round.  lol, I must have got the wrong package at the store.

SO I have never cooked a top round before.  DH and I typically eat pretty late (he won't even be home from work for 2 more hours), so I need to cook it, but I have no idea how to make it tender.  I hate crock pots, so does anyone know how to cook this type of roast so it turns out yummy???

FYI, we like our beef med-rare

HELP ME PLEASE!!! LOL

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joeynwillsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Put it in the oven in a roasting pan on 300 for 1 1/2  to 2 hours.

aneely08
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:00 PM

hmmm well you could stick it in a pan with some potatoes carrots and onions drizzle with some oil and a little bit  of butter and put alluminum foil over it to keep it moist...

petersgal
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:01 PM

do I cover it? put any liquid in the bottom of the pan??? (red wine, water, beef stock, etc...)

Quoting joeynwillsmom:

Put it in the oven in a roasting pan on 300 for 1 1/2  to 2 hours.

momaloveof3
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:02 PM

put it in a roasting pan pour some water/beef broth on it cut up some carrots, potatoes and onions and stick along side of the roast.  Cover it with aluminum foil and put it in the over at 350. Cook for 1 1/2  to 2 hours. You can use any kind of seasoning, we usually use season salt.  Good Luck.

joeynwillsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:04 PM

This is good, sorry I didn't elaborate in my reply, I was going to and then I was side tracked for a sec. I didn't realize I didn't give extra instructions..lol Except since your roast is kinda small, I might only cook it at 300 instead of 350.

Quoting momaloveof3:

put it in a roasting pan pour some water/beef broth on it cut up some carrots, potatoes and onions and stick along side of the roast.  Cover it with aluminum foil and put it in the over at 350. Cook for 1 1/2  to 2 hours. You can use any kind of seasoning, we usually use season salt.  Good Luck.

ScorpionMomof2
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:06 PM

season it (salt and pepper) is what I use .....put whatever veggies you want on it and cover iwt with aluminum foil (all around) like a wrapped present and let it cook for like 1 1/2 hours or less if you like it MR...GL!

sllytnkrbl
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:08 PM

This is pretty much what I do but I put a couple of slits in the meat  and add a tiny bit of butter and pieces of garlic into the slits, rub the roast in olive oil then add the seasonings - whatever I have on hand.  

Quoting momaloveof3:

Leni - Wife, Mom and NASCAR Fan

momofamamasboy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:09 PM

350-375 degress for the oven. Salt, Pepper and Celery Salt... YUM! I cant remeber if it is 30 min per lbs to save my life for cooking. Once done, let set and you have dinner.

3timesoccermom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:12 PM

I hate those kinds of roasts - they're so dense and dry.  This is the only way I've found that they're edible.  Go ahead and cook it with some liquid - either in the crock pot, stove pot in big pot or in the oven.  Needs to cook at a low temperature.  THEN, put it up til tomorrow.  When it's cold, you can easily slice it into paper thin slices then it's not so tough and dry.  Having a gravy helps a lot too.

petersgal
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:14 PM

Thanks mamas!  I threw the veggies in with it, rubbed some butter on top then coated with ground peppercorns and sea salt.  I didn't have beef broth or stock so I did a bit of red Zinfandel :)

thanks for the cooking info

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)