Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obama To Order Guantánamo Closed First Week In Office

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:00 PM
  • 7 Replies

President-elect Barack Obama plans to order the closing of the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay as early as his first week in office!

What do you think??

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
oboe_chik
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:01 PM

My question is where are these people going to go?

Tae
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:09 PM

The Bush administration negotiated for many months with countries whose nationals are still at Guantanamo, trying to get them to take in detainees.

Some governments have denied the Guantanamo prisoners are in fact their citizens while others have been reluctant to agree to U.S. requests to imprison or monitor returnees.

Some of those being held include Chinese Muslim Uighurs who Washington says cannot return to China because they would face persecution together with Libyans, Uzbeks and Algerians who are also at risk.

Some could be granted asylum by other nations if their own countries refuse to take them.

Last month, Portugal's foreign minister urged other Europeans to take in Guantanamo prisoners, saying such a move could make it easier for Obama to close the remote prison. Switzerland has said it is open to taking in prisoners.

Q: What problems does Obama face in closing the prison?

A: There are a host of legal and practical problems, particularly concerning those who are deemed "too dangerous" to free. More than a third of the prisoners left are from Yemen and the State Department has still not been able to reach a deal with that country on either security assurances or guarantees that prisoners would be treated humanely.

The Bush administration wanted to try about 80 Guantanamo prisoners on terrorism charges and held a few dozen others it did not intend to try but believed should be kept locked up. Those facing charges include five accused Sept. 11 plotters.

SugarMama99200
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:09 PM

From what I heard they want to stick them in military instituations one of which is not too far from where I am In Camp Pendleton CA Those people are freakin dangerous and i think they need to keep them down there. I dont want them near me or my family.

Quoting oboe_chik:

oboe_chik
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:11 PM

So they are moving them from one jail to another? Thats kinda pointless.

Quoting SugarMama99200:

From what I heard they want to stick them in military instituations one of which is not too far from where I am In Camp Pendleton CA Those people are freakin dangerous and i think they need to keep them down there. I dont want them near me or my family.

Quoting oboe_chik:

the_nanny
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Quoting oboe_chik:

Yeah I don't understand because I think federal law requires that the prisoners be segregated from the regular prison population.

the_nanny
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Quoting Tae:

Last month, Portugal's foreign minister urged other Europeans to take in Guantanamo prisoners, saying such a move could make it easier for Obama to close the remote prison. Switzerland has said it is open to taking in prisoners.

Aren't more safe here!!! I  mean safe for us!! because if the go to other country they can release them...or not??

mooremom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:15 PM

It is pointless to shut it down. They need to weed out the good, bad and the ugly and disperse appropriately.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)