Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I heard something but don't know if it is true. Do u know?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:05 PM
  • 17 Replies

I heard that President Obama has put a freeze on his cabinets income. Is this true? I also heard the ex President Bush will not have the secret service people protecting.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joeynwillsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Bush will be the first President to only have secret service for 10 years after leaving office, the rest had/have  them for life. As for the cabinet member, I am not sure who he put a freeze on, but I know some high ups got their salaries frozen.

MommyOnLI
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:10 PM

every ex president will ALWAYS have secret service watching... if they took that away we would have a LOT of dead ex presidents.

when i met Carter a few years back he had about 5 with him that i was able to notice.

as for the other thing,, IDK

hanksmom0207
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:11 PM

From what I can remember hearing and seeing... He put a freeze on peoples pay who goes over $100,000.... But from my understanding it's to not allow them for right now to get a "raise"not for not giving them their paychecks... Hope that helps... As far as  Bush I don't know bout that one.

~*~Pounds to go til I can look like that up there~*~

momto3infl

Hubby says he saw abt the freeze on CNN.com today and it is all of his cabinet.  I said yeah

spunkymomof3

I did not think the SS was a choice, but maybe.  I do know that salaries that were over 100,000 were frozen (White House Employees).

I am a three time c-sections having, extended breasfeeding, used to be  cosleeping, part time cloth diapering and gdiaper using, baby wearing, vaxing (some delayed)  proud air force wife and stay at home mom to three kiddos!

joeynwillsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:15 PM

This is from Wikipedia:

Congress passed legislation in 1994 stating that presidents elected to office after January 1, 1997 will receive Secret Service protection for 10 years after leaving office. Individuals elected to office prior to January 1, 1997 will continue to receive lifetime protection (Treasury Department Appropriations Act, 1995: Pub.L. 103-329).

Quoting MommyOnLI:

every ex president will ALWAYS have secret service watching... if they took that away we would have a LOT of dead ex presidents.

when i met Carter a few years back he had about 5 with him that i was able to notice.

as for the other thing,, IDK

mamamissy316
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:15 PM

I haven't heard anything about the cabinet's income being frozen, and my web search turned up nothing.  As far as Bush goes, he will have protection for 10 years.  There was an action passed back in the 90's that decided the whole lifetime protection thing for presidentswasn't necessary.  Clinton got it, just because he was elected before the legislation passed.  This isn't a personal attack on Bush - no president will be given lifetime protection ever again. 

4LifeTupperware
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:17 PM

I heard that President Obama has put a freeze on his cabinets income. Yes he did just got done watching part of the news

Is this true? I also heard the ex President Bush will not have the secret service people protecting. false, Bush just like the others still and do will have SS people protecting him,

Melanie, Wife for 14 years and a Mom, to 13 year old daughter, 10 year old son, 3 year old son, 11 month old son and two angel babies that would also be 11 months old, and Tupperware Consultant!   "Only one life, will soon be passed, only what's done for Christ will last."          

sassired8
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:17 PM

What really sucks about that is so many ppl think he was such a horrible person that after that 10 years he will probably be the one they try to assasinate.....

Quoting mamamissy316:

I haven't heard anything about the cabinet's income being frozen, and my web search turned up nothing.  As far as Bush goes, he will have protection for 10 years.  There was an action passed back in the 90's that decided the whole lifetime protection thing for presidentswasn't necessary.  Clinton got it, just because he was elected before the legislation passed.  This isn't a personal attack on Bush - no president will be given lifetime protection ever again. 

baly2001
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:22 PM

thanks ladies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)