Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else sick of banks and institutions? *vent*

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:59 PM
  • 21 Replies

My bank balance shown online is never accurate to how much is in there. Institutions wait 2 or more weeks before they "post" charges to my account. The direct deposit shows up in our account, and we will be allowed to make purchases, but then we get overdraft charges b/c they push the direct deposit as the last transaction to post for the day... Yes it is *technically* our "fault" for not balancing our checkbook, but it is pretty difficult when I never know how much is in there and what has or hasn't posted or cleared and when it will. I am just so frustrated. Also doesn't help that my SO never tells me what he spends on the card, yet expects me to know the balance. Aaarrrgggh.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bexibear
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:01 PM

frustrated

vangel34
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Wow, the bank I work for always post debits before credits as long as you have a credit hard posting that night.  That's kinda crappy that they do that to you. 

FYI, banks don't hold charges or credits for up to 2 weeks, that is against federal regulation.  You may need to look at the payee holding a check or a merchant taking their sweet time debiting your account.

nanaT2
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:06 PM

I hate to say this, but I don't have a problem with the bank as far as being accurate, they are awesome( crdit Union). They put the money in right away, and take out a charge right away. I just opened up another account at a different bank, so I'm not sure about the new one yet. It must be your bank

miss_nevin
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:06 PM

ha i use to do this all the time this is why i only pay food e ct in cash i leave all the money for bills in the bank.. and pay them with checks and then i got the rest in cash.. but bad thing is when its gone its gone you know.. but no more dealing with bs.. though found that i save money this way.. cause everytime you overdraw its like 30$ :)

kaitlynsmom1230
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:09 PM

ive never heard of a bank posting deposits like that. I work with 4 banks and they ALL post deposits 1st.   As far as transactions, thats not the bank's fault if you're referring to stuff done onf your debit card. It all depends on the merchant. They have up to 6 months to "complete" a transaction.

MumsTheWord571
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:13 PM

My bank is pretty good with our deposits/debits. no overdraft fees or anything. maybe you should switch banks!

SylviaNCali
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:23 PM

the only issue I have with my credit union is they wait till half the next month is over to send out the bank statements. So for us we pay our groceries and gas on the credit card and then use a check to pay the whole balance off in one big payment. This helps us keep track of every penny w/o having to do a lot of day to day work.

dusky_rose
by Sue on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Make your SO bring you the receipts, that's what I do so I can try to keep the checkbook some what balanced. I hate when I make math errors, so frustrating!

jmom470
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:28 PM

I'm going to my bank tomorrow and closing my account. I check online everyday to keep up on my account. Haven't used my debit in a wk I have 2 overdraft charges. I don't think so. I am so mad

sexylady34
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:31 PM

If you cant balance your check book then dont bitch about the bank! You apparently dont know how much is in your account you keep over drawing it! Get you SO his own account and make him grow up and be a responsible adult!

Quoting Bexibear:

My bank balance shown online is never accurate to how much is in there. Institutions wait 2 or more weeks before they "post" charges to my account. The direct deposit shows up in our account, and we will be allowed to make purchases, but then we get overdraft charges b/c they push the direct deposit as the last transaction to post for the day... Yes it is *technically* our "fault" for not balancing our checkbook, but it is pretty difficult when I never know how much is in there and what has or hasn't posted or cleared and when it will. I am just so frustrated. Also doesn't help that my SO never tells me what he spends on the card, yet expects me to know the balance. Aaarrrgggh.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)