Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nebulizers? Advice?! UPDATE*****

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:09 PM
  • 22 Replies

So my 7 month old son was diagnosed with pneumonia on New Years Day. He had his ER visits and everything like that, he went through too many chest X-rays for his little self and he was better after a round of steroids and antibiotics. His PCP said that he was going to be at risk for respiratory problems every time he was sick because of this. Now he's back to being sick and wheezing like crazy. He now has a nebulizer and we feel like the worst parents ever holding him down, and trying to keep this mask on him for like 10 minutes. Are there any parents out there that have done this for such little ones!? Any advice?!

Thank you to everyone who gave us advice. Today he took to it a bit better. I played some Taylor Swift *His favorite* and rocked him and sang to him. After he was done with that his Daddy acted all silly and he couldn't stop laughing while having the mask on his face. We are definately going to try it while he is sleeping for his nighttime treatment thanks to your advice!!!!! Unfortunately it won't work in the mornings since he knows the minute we're awake somehow! lol. THanks again!

Alexandria

**Ready for this? I'm 20, with a sweet baby boy, engaged to be married to my sons Daddy, doing the college thing(nursing student), breast feeding, share a room, won't let him CIO (just yet) , live at home for now, I'm constantly online but my son comes first, I love my life. Although some would think my life is far from perfect, I believe it is. I'm a young mom determined to break the stereotype b/c young mom's do it best!!**

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Seans_mommy123
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:13 PM

My son (who is 2) wouldn't let us use the mask on him so we used the pipe. We were told as long as you keep it near his mouth and he breathes the medicine in it would still have the same effect. So try just hold the pipe for it in front of him if you have one.

AzaleaCheerMom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:17 PM

My girls first treatments were at 3yrs old and 5yrs old. A 7 month old would be really hard to hold still. Maybe some soft music and you slow dancing while holding him will do the trick. The tubing is usually long enough for standing. Or try looking at books or playing pat-a-cake.

khurley8686
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:17 PM

I don't use the mask, because they just hate it. I had to do it with my now two year old and right now with my 5 month old. They both have asthma. I took the mask part off and I just hold it in front of their nose and mouth, my son puts it in his mouth and plays with it. It's fine to let them put it in their mouth as long as you watch because they might put it back to far and choke themselves with it. Even though its in their mouth they are still breathing in the medicine. Hope this helps.

COME JOIN MY GROUP FOR IDEAS ON PLANNING YOUR NEXT EVENT!!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/eventplanning101

mommy_moore23
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:19 PM

My DD was around 6 months old when she started recieving her first neb treatments.  You don't have to keep the mask on his face, just as long as it's near his mouth.  My daughter's always took well to the pipe and ended up putting it in their mouth and playing with it!  Good luck!

Tired of being ignored??  Come join us at the post killahs!!  You will always get a response on your forums!! big smile mini

http://www.cafemom.com/group/97050

Sean_mommy4life
I just had to use it for my 5 monthh old and i would just rock her with mask on
khurley8686

You can also do it while he's sleeping. I had to do this with my oldest when he was younger and on the Nebulizer. Just hold the pipe part in front of his nose while he's sleeping.

COME JOIN MY GROUP FOR IDEAS ON PLANNING YOUR NEXT EVENT!!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/eventplanning101

Aimalee
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:23 PM

This always worked the best for me! Good luck to you guys!

Quoting khurley8686:

You can also do it while he's sleeping. I had to do this with my oldest when he was younger and on the Nebulizer. Just hold the pipe part in front of his nose while he's sleeping.

Mommylisa7
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:24 PM

It is hard but they do get used to it. My 8 year old has used one since he was 6 months old off and on.  When they are crying the meds go deeper into their lungs so that is a plus-just doesn't make it any easier!!!  Good luck!!!

iluvpink0701
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Yep! My son was diagnosed with RSV at 13 months, and we have been on the nebulizer everytime he's been sick since then. It's wonderful! Lol... My son does better on the "blow by". As long as I don't put the mask on him, he will patiently sit there. The blow by's are the tubes instead of the mask. I'm not sure if you can use them on your baby since he's so young, but you might ask your doctor. My son screamed for the mask too. But he actually likes the tubes. He will put them in his mouth and sit there with them. I'm really sorry to hear about yuor little guy. My doctor today said she diagnosed 4 babies with RSV in 2 days. So I guess it's going around. Good luck mama!

sarahincolorado
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Use the pipe part, and just keep it in front of his face. If they cry, I was told it was even better, because i gets deeper into the lungs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)