Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This woman is crazy if she thinks I'm going to go along with this. UPDATED

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:13 PM
  • 98 Replies

My daughter is 7 and in second grade. She has shown a lot of interest in the presidential election. Anyway..... I sent her to school yesterday, and at 10 AM I called and asked if they were going to let the kids watch the inauguration. The secretary told me they were not allowing the children to watch it, because they did not get permission from parents. Ok, fine. I understand. So, I went to the school and picked up my daughter at 11 so she could come home and watch it. I think it's an important event, and my daughter has only missed 1 day of school this year. I took her back to school afterwards. The secretary informs me that he absence was unexcused and that my daughter was required to attend Saturday school. I don't think so! My daughter is not being punished because she wanted to witness a part of history. They said if she does not attend; she will be expelled. I think this is ridiculous!

Update:

I spoke to the superintendent today. He apologized over and over again about the actions of the school. My daughter did receive a half day of unexcused absence. That is perfectly fine with me. She is not going to serve Saturday school. I asked about our attendance policy, and he informed me that any absence without a doctor's note is unexcused. However, a child must occur more than 3 unexcused absences per grading period before any kind of action is taken. I'm just glad this is all taken care of.

FYI: I would have let her watch it even if McCain was voted in. This has nothing to do with who it was.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mooremom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Yeah, I think it is ridiciulous too.

absmomma23
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:14 PM

i agree with the school. you really took her out for that?eye rollingcouldnt you have recorded it not to mention they showed it a billion more times.

BabyKsMom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Wow, seems a little harsh... I don't have kids in school yet but I thought as the parent you had the right to take your kid out for a day or part of a day if you wanted to. Good luck.  :)

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

pregnancy due date
girliegrl742
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:15 PM

that's not right of  the school at all. It's an educational experience.

charmed_423
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:16 PM

i really dont think it was the secretarys buisness why she missed school anyway..i would NOT make her do Saturday school it was an important part of history and im not even a fan of Obama and i think so...especially if she was interested she shouldve been allowed....just tell them to kiss it and dont go for it...its dumb

alexa_xoxo
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Wow!!!! I can't believe it!! thats horrible!!

Does she attend a private school??

You need to speak to the principal because that is unacceptable, if it were me i wouldnt take my daughter to saturday school, because that is a punishment and the way i see it she did nothing wrong, plus you took her out of school, isnt that excuse enough??

MrsCarlet
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Sorry, I have to agree.  You could have recorded it or watched it on you tube of something.

Quoting absmomma23:

i agree with the school. you really took her out for that?eye rollingcouldnt you have recorded it not to mention they showed it a billion more times.

iluvpink0701

I don't agree with the school, but I think I probably would have just put it on the DVR.. I missed MANY days in school, and they were all unexcused and my school never did anything or said a word. So I think it's strange that they give Saturday school to 7 year olds. We didn't have Saturday school until high school. And to EXPEL her? That's crazy, and a little over the top for a half-day. I would try to talk to someone else about it.. the principal or something.

kaylasmom9

That is ridiculous!  You have the right to pull her out.  Saturday school for elementary kids...crazy!  For future, I pull mine out early for appointments or sometimes for other things.  I dont tell them the reason other that appointment.  Mine has only missed 1 day as well, and a couple that I took her early.

Thebarbiedoll

Very ridiculous !! Demand to speak to the principle about this and if u get nowhere call the school superintendent !!! Obama said he was going to make changes for the better, I hope he starts with the school systems first  or very very soon !!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)