Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

preg. complications! pls read and bump!!! *UPDATE #2!!*

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:36 PM
  • 79 Replies

Karrigan Lee S. was born this morning via c-section to my DH's cousin Josh and Veronica!  Baby Karrigan was 8 lbs 9 oz!  Thanks for your prayers! - please stop saying she could have had the baby vaginally because the baby wasn't that big, etc etc.  The doctors knew best in this case, and what the US revealed was that the baby had it's arm above it's head and was stuck in the birth canal - we didn't know this before.  So the size doesn't matter... yes, the size of the baby she COULD have had vaginally, but the position of the baby could have hurt her, or broken the baby's shoulder. 

*UPDATE* sorry I haven't been updating this post.  I made a new one about my cousin when things got more serious..., to sum quickly, DH's cousin went in and the doctor confirmed that the baby is just to big to have vaginally.  She has been having contractions on and off (not braxton, just long periods of contractions spaced about 7 min apart then they stop) since Saturday.  So she is scheduled for her C-section tomorrow.  My cousin is slowly improving and may be released from the ICU on Friday.  Please see my other post "Urgent! Please read! My cousin WAS dying......." in the forum for more info on my cousins status :).  Thanks so much mamas

DH and I both have close cousins that are preg with their first child.  Tonight we both got a phone call, back to back (literally within a 5 minute period) and got bad news...

His cousins wife is 9 mos, and due any day.  So they had scheduled her to have her membranes scraped today, and if she didn't go into labor, and induction on Friday. Well today when she went in, they did a routine ultrasound, and decided NOT to scrape her membranes, and to cancel the induction.  They called in another doctor who looked at the US and informed her that in his opinion it would be safer to do a c-section on monday.  However they didnt tell her any more information, even when she and her DH asked.  They told her instead that they would give her their reasons when she went in on Monday for the c-section.  So we don't know whats wrong and have no idea what would prompt them to do a c-sec instead of labor.

My cousin is a little more critical. She is 6 months pregnant, and lives in Camdenton, MO.  She got a viral infection and today was admitted to the hospital with an acute case of pneumonia.  When they began monitoring the baby, they got a really weak heartbeat (it was only 113 bpm) and so they did an US and the baby was barely moving.  So the latest info I have is that she was being life flighted to a big hospital (I don't know which one).  They don't know if she or the baby are going to make it.

Prayers (or if that isn't your style, warm thoughts) are really appreciated right now!!! 

**DH's cousins wife went to L&D last night after having a few contractions (Braxton Hicks, but at least they got in her b/c of them) and talked to one of the dr's that was there on call. She asked them about the c-section and so the dr. did an US for her and said that the baby was fine, most likely what was going on, was that because she is such a petite woman they were afraid that she wouldn't be able to deliver the baby without her or the baby being seriously injured during a vaginal birth. I guess the baby has an extremely large head (Dh's cousin was the same way at birth).  SO! I know that is such a weird reason, but she is going to call her OB/GYN today and see if that is the reason (since the dr she was talking to was just giving her his opinion based on one quick US).  Good news though that they think the baby is ok! 

No word yet on my cousin, but will update when I hear.  Thanks for the prayers and warm thoughts, and hugs mamas

**2nd Update... this one on my cousin! I found out today that she was admitted to the hospital and they had stabilized her last night, but then this morning I guess when the nurse checked on her, she had a fever of 105, and her lungs had started filling.  So she was moved to ICU and now they have a constant monitor on her and the baby.  My cousin has been slipping in and otu of consciousness all day.  Please continue to pray, as they don't know what damage the lack of oxygen and high fever have done to the baby.  We are all praying that it doesn't cause any permanent damage and that they are able to stabilize both mommy and baby by tomorrow.  Thanks everyone

PLEASE BUMP!

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starrynight819
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:38 PM

i'm sorry. bump.

pregnancy

mommy2eblb
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:39 PM

oh wow hun, i will keep both in my prays!

Tanya-Wifey To Austin-Mother To Ethan & Landon-Lover OF-Friends- Family-Music-Dancing-Shopping-Traveling-Animals-Purses-Pink-Outdoors-4 Wheelin-Campimg-FUN!!!!!!big smile mini

trina60
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:39 PM

My prayer are with the family and you....BUMP! bump

Nancita
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:40 PM

My prayers are with them.

And I have to say how horrible of those doctors to not tell that poor woman what is going on and making her and her family and friends sit and worry for days!  Shame on them!

pinkcarebear
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:40 PM

I will keep both of them in my prayers.Hope everyone makes it ok. Try to keep us updated.

momgirlsx2
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:41 PM

How Scary I can not imagine not knowing what could possibly be wrong and to have to wait til Monday - I don't think I could do it. They are all in our thoughts.

Proud mom of 2 girls.
erinbills
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:41 PM

I'm so sorry this is happening to your family. The one that is 9 months should call the doctor and demand to know why they think a c-section is the safest option.




Dawn4175
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way!

 

shebearncub
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Your all in my prayers!

babybutterfly2
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:45 PM

I feel for you and will say a prayer.  My cousin lost her baby (stillborn) because the doctors were closed mouthed like you say, and we found later that the baby swollowed so much of the marconium (SP?) that it literally burned her lungs and her heart stopped due to the strain it put on her little heart.  She is now about 1-2 months along again and we pray she has a healthy baby this time, but her doc is trying to put her on some sort of morning sickness drugs, which they had her on with the first baby too.  I never took that stuff and my docs never mentioned it, they told me eat saltines and water to calm my tummy.  They need to press the docs to answer them why a C section and demand an answer now, not Monday.  They had my cousin wait those extra days and had they delivered her when they originally planned due to low fluid, the baby might be alive today, and I am not saying that to scare you, but sometimes the doctors in the hospitals don't have a clue.  Was it her normal OBGYN who told her this or anohter doc?  I would not trust walking away with no answer to my questions, that is terrible to do to a family.  Good luck and I will say an extra prayer tonight.

 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)