Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

House Training a puppy...Help Please!!! or Bump Thank You!!

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:34 PM
  • 19 Replies

So our puppy was born on December 8th and we'll be bringing her home very soon. Now I'm by no means a retard *duh* but I grew up with cats so I have no clue how to house train a puppy. The 2 dogs we had when I was a kid were outside which doesn't help me much. Training is one thing I can do that but house breaking will be totally new territory. Any ideas, info, or advice welcome. If your not sure please bump. Looking for as much help and info as I can get. Thank You in Advance!!!!!

Edit.....

We live in Minnesota so keeping puppy outside right now is not an option. Should have mentioned that before. Last week we had -46 below 0 windchills. Regular temp was -22 at that time. I think the poor little thing will freeze out there. The high temps this weekend comming up are 2 and 4....yuck.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thebestbrianne
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:36 PM

You can get mats at places like petco that are supposed to attract dogs to pee on them. I have no clue what they are called, I've just heard of them. If you can get him to go on that, you gradually move it outside, then once he gets used to doing it outside, you get rid of the mats. I don't know how well it works, it's just something I've heard. Good luck.

Join me at Non-Religious Mommies!

It's ok to be open-minded!

culinaryqueen
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:37 PM

I am a big fan of WEE WEE PADS u can buy them at any pet store they are these pads that you place in different areas of the house and they have some type of a scent that will draw the puppy to it once you have introduced the puppy to the pad, THEY ARE VERY VERY SAFE AND NOT TOXIC, I hope this helps u out Oh, and try to keep the puppy on  a regular potty schedule so he or she will learn to hold it until the time to go, I hope this helps, take care.

avegajenkins
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:38 PM

it depends because if you want an indoor dog i can help lol im all about the wee wee/poop  pads my puppy who is 2 months old already knows where to poop and pee and I dont ever crate, I gate him in the kitchen and I placed pads in the back towards the laundry room so he knows to do his business there he learned in less than a week, its how I did it with our 1st puppy and it worked also. good luck!

expecting girllistening to tunesbaby boypuppy

Lexi & Q         Jada (11yrs)   Jaylen (1yrs.)    Diggy (2mos) PUG

candie241983
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:38 PM

I breed and raise bloodhounds . I can tell the the best and easiest way to house train a pup is to crate train it.

avegajenkins
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:40 PM

oh yea schedule is good My puppy eats at 7.20am then at Noon, 4pm thats it after that but I do give him water 24/7 because he already knows where to "go"

momsgangof4
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:40 PM

I have to disagree...the point of housebreaking is to teach the dog to go outside, not inside on a pee pad. That is confusing. You really just have to be consistent. Take it out every 20-30 mins. and immediatley after every feeding. If it starts to have an accident in the house, rush him outside . Also lots of praise and treats! We housebroke our lab ( which came home the same day we brought our youngest home from the hospital) in 1 week. The only time she has had an accident since is when she had a UTI. Good Luck!

sweetktn
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Is "crate train"ing where you keep them in a kennel and just bring them out when they have to go until you get them on a schedule and they learn to "ask" to go out?

Quoting candie241983:

I breed and raise bloodhounds . I can tell the the best and easiest way to house train a pup is to crate train it.

Acid
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Congrats on the new puppy!

First off if you can, buy or find a crate, they are wonderful house training aides.  If you already have a crate then put the puppy in there at night, when you can't pay attention to him/her and if you are going out.  The rule of thumb here is that a puppy will not mess in his crate as he sees it as his den.

Take the puppy out in the morning as soon as you get up, puppies can hold their bladder an hour for each month of age they are.  Take him out after eating, after playing, after waking up from a nap.  Stay outside with thte puppy for at least 20 mins, if he does something, sing, dance, shout, praise praise praise.  The neighbours will think you are nuts, but the puppy will hear how happy you are and equate that with good things.  If he doesn't go, then put him in the crate, wait 20 mins and try again.  Never use the crate as punishment becaue you want him to enjoy being in there.  He will mess in theh ouse, when he does, never hit him, whack him wiht a rolled up newspaper or yell at him. Do not rub his nose in the mess, it serves no purpose.

You can also give him a treat if he goes outside.  Keep him on a schedule much as you would training a person to potty as well.  If you notice him sniffing around, let him out.  If he runs off suddenly, let him out. If he whines, let him out.  If he squats to pee say NO and let him out. 

You can also find a spot in your yard you want him to use, this will help as well.  He will eventually go to the spot on his own.

Good Luck!  IF you need anymore help please PM me.

Only when the last tree has been cut down,
Only when the last river has been poisoned,
Only when the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.

— Cree Indian Prophecy

candie241983
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:44 PM

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

This is a great website about crate training!

Quoting sweetktn:

Is "crate train"ing where you keep them in a kennel and just bring them out when they have to go until you get them on a schedule and they learn to "ask" to go out?

Quoting candie241983:

culinaryqueen
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Even though I am a fan of the pads, I also agree with what this mom is saying as well, she is right it will confuse the puppy.

Quoting momsgangof4:

I have to disagree...the point of housebreaking is to teach the dog to go outside, not inside on a pee pad. That is confusing. You really just have to be consistent. Take it out every 20-30 mins. and immediatley after every feeding. If it starts to have an accident in the house, rush him outside . Also lots of praise and treats! We housebroke our lab ( which came home the same day we brought our youngest home from the hospital) in 1 week. The only time she has had an accident since is when she had a UTI. Good Luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)