Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Three Cavities?!!

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2007 at 3:17 PM
  • 8 Replies
Help!

I just got back from the dentist with my four year old. He gave us horrible news. Three, count 'em, THREE holes in her baby teeth that need to be drilled and filled.

I thought limiting candy and brushing once a day was enough. Big mistake.

Now I'm getting flashbacks to my own days in the chair and I can't even imagine my little one going through the pinching shot that takes 15 long seconds and the drill sound and the drill smell. It's bad enough for an adult.

Has anyone gone through this with children so young? Advice? Comfort? Ideas?

Thank you!
by on Mar. 27, 2007 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
NursingStudent
by on Mar. 27, 2007 at 3:21 PM
Ouch, I just had my first cavity this last year and I was absolutely scared to deaIth.  It turned out to be no big deal.  The cavity was so small they didnt even have to numb me=no shots.  Hopefully this is the case with your little one.  If not I recommend more frequent visits to the dentist.  My dentist said they caught mine really early.  

good luck...and dont let him know your scared for him! 
gacgbaker
by on Mar. 27, 2007 at 3:22 PM
Oh poor baby! My niece has issues with that same thing, the dentist said that sometimes kids just have weak teeth, I would look into seeing if it is ok to give her a calcium supplement, hopefully that would make the teeth stronger.
Momoftwinkies
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2007 at 3:25 PM
I went through this with my oldest daughter. The fist tim I took her in they had to give her a cap and fill 2 cavities. Then she had to have her front 2 teeth pulled, one when she was 3 and the other when she was 4. They said she had low enamel and that she drank too much juice. I started buying her Crystal Light and if she did get juice then it was diluted 50/50. Before I took her in I explained what was going to happen and that mommy culdn't stay with her. She did fine. I also bought a new toy to give her when we left and she picked out dinner. I spoiled her rotten those days. I hope everything goes well.
goofygirl03
by on Mar. 27, 2007 at 3:57 PM
Oh yikes! I feel bad for your child- I have really bad teeth- I'm talking even though I brush two-three times a day and floss regularly I've still had two root canals AND various cavities. Some people just have terrible teeth :( I haven't taken my daughter yet- ugh. As for you- I hope everything goes smoothly :{
tdolphin1
by on Mar. 27, 2007 at 4:04 PM
Hello~
  We went through this with Tommy last year, he was 4 also at the time. He had 6 cavities! He never had a lot of sugar and brushed twice a day. Our oldest has none so far and we didn't do anything different. Our dentist also said that some kids just have weak teeth and are more prone to cavities. All you can do is just make sure she brushes really could a couple times a day...especailly at night. And keep up with the appointments. You're not doing anything wrong so please don't think you are. Tommy did pretty could getting his cavities fixed. They actually did one at a time....said it was easier for kids that way. He never cried once....he did push the dentist's hand away a couple times but that was it. I'm sure she'll do fine....maybe get her a small inexpensive toy after or something like that...might help.

Trisha
stephmommyof4
by on Mar. 27, 2007 at 4:12 PM
My three year old has three cavities as well. We took him to the pediatric dentist and they gave him a valium and some demerol. He didn't feel a thing.
tyfry7496
by on Mar. 27, 2007 at 7:51 PM
Is there a dentist in your area that offers DRILL-LESS cavities? I HATE going to the dentist and there are a few dentists in my area that offer this. Also, do NOT give her fruit snacks. They are the worst thing for your teeth, even if teeth are brushed right after eating them. They stick in the teeth. Also, have her brush atleast 2 times a day (morning and before bed).
gems
by on Mar. 27, 2007 at 11:08 PM
Hi:  I was in Dentistry for over 20 years in an administrative roll and as an assistant.  Is this the first time your child has ever been to a Dentist?  Generally, what has likely happened is that you may have given the little tyke a bottle of juice or milk when they went to bed---it is called Baby Bottle Syndrome, and is caused from the acid in both milk and juice.  There really is no "soft teeth."  Your child may have too much acid from juices and possibly sodas.  I would recommend a Pediatric Dentist for the first "fillings" as they cater to young ones and offer a pleasant visit in so many ways.  It's what they do.  I would look into finding a Pediatric Dentist if you possibly can.  I know you are worried, but don't fret.....your little one will do better than you think.  I hope this has helped and if you have ANY questions about anything Dental, please feel free to contact me.  Hugs to you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN