Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Girls I need your help asap!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:14 AM
  • 6 Replies

Hey everyone well I went to the ER and They did a ultrasound im 9 weeks and 5 days and my litttle one was jumping around and the heartbeat is 171 and the doctor said it is possible miscarriage but everything looked great for now but I JUST READ THE REPORT AND NOW IM A LITTLE FREAKED becouse it said small 15 mm subchronic hemrrage on the left side of the gestational sac and possibly have a fibroid

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:16 AM

What do you need help with? The doc said that things look fine right now.

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:16 AM

Sorry don't know what help you are in need of.. Unfortunately it is a "waiting game". You'll be in my thoughts and here is a "bump".

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:17 AM

I think that if the doctor said eveything looked fine right now, I wouldn't be too worried.

toddler boyParker (6-1-07) baby boyColten (1-15-09) 

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:25 AM

Some things are within our control and some are just not.  I'd research the things that were listed and see if there's anything you can do to help yourself and after that I'd try not to stress as much as possible.  It's not good for the bean, you know.  And it's not good for you.  Hugs.

I'm sorry you're scared.  It's understandable.  At least I would be.  No one likes to hear something may be wrong.  My dad always says "Prepare for the worst but expect the best."  I hope everything turns out okay. 

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:35 AM

I have a good friend that had the same problem early in her pregnancy.  She gushed tons of blood though.  She's now 18 weeks and everything is still okay with her baby.  Just be sure to make an appointment with an OB on Monday and follow their instructions!

Hope everything turns out well for you and I'm glad the baby looked good!

Krystiana ~ Loving wifey to Nick, Momma to Juliana,
Stepmomma to Lillyana,
and growing a boy. EDD-2/20/09

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:43 AM

Many women have fribroids during their pregnancy that don't cause too much problem, but are things that should A, be monitored, and B, are good to know about if a section is going to happen.  The location of fibroids can sometimes affect how/where they will make an incision depending on size and severity.  As for the small hemorage thing, I'm not too sure about that.  I would keep your feet up all weekend and make an appt w/ your OB to see what exactly it means, or you can call the ER and tell them that your condition WASN'T explained and ask them what it means.  I found some info on subchronic hemmhorage

Subchorionic hemorrhage (subchorionic hematoma) is the most common sonographic abnormality in the presence of a live embryo. Vaginal bleeding affects 25% of all women during the first half of pregnancy and is a common reason for first-trimester ultrasonography. Sonographic visualization of a subchorionic hematoma is important in a symptomatic woman because pregnant women with a demonstrable hematoma have a prognosis worse than women without a hematoma. However, small, asymptomatic subchorionic hematomas do not worsen the patient's prognosis.

In women whose sonogram shows a subchorionic hematoma, the outcome of the fetus depends on the size of the hematoma, the mother's age, and the fetus's gestational age. Rates of miscarriage increase with advancing maternal age and increasing size of hematoma. Late first- or second-trimester bleeding also worsens the prognosis.

Related eMedicine topics:
Pregnancy, Postpartum Hemorrhage

Related Medscape topics:
Resource Center Pregnancy
Resource Center OB/GYN and Women's Health Nursing
Resource Center Neonatal Medicine
CME  Stemming the Rising Tide of Prematurity
CME/CE  Misoprostol May Help Prevent Postpartum Hemorrhage 
Abnormal Vaginal Bleeding in Women of Reproductive Age: A Descriptive Study of Initial Management in General Practice
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss

The subchorionic hemorrhage (subchorionic hematoma) collects between the uterine wall and the chorionic membrane and may leak through the cervical canal. Later in the first trimester and early second trimester, the subchorionic hematoma may partially strip the developing placenta away from its attachment site. Therefore, the prognosis of patients with this type of hematoma is worse than the prognosis of patients with hematoma early in first trimester1 (see Images 2-3).

The subchorionic hematoma often regresses, especially if it is small or moderate in size. Large hematomas, which strip at least 30-40% of placenta away from endometrium, may enlarge further, compressing the gestational sac and leading to premature rupture of membranes with consequent spontaneous abortion.

United States

The incidence of subchorionic hemorrhage (subchorionic hematoma) is 1.3% of all pregnancies. In pregnant patients with first-trimester vaginal bleeding, the incidence increases to almost 20%. Bennett et al2 reported a spontaneous abortion rate of 9.3% in patients with first-trimester vaginal bleeding who had a live fetus and subchorionic hematoma. Overall, hematoma is associated with a 4-33% rate of miscarriage depending on the gestational age when the complication occurs.

• The presence of sonographically detected subchorionic hemorrhage (subchorionic hematoma) increases the risk of miscarriage, stillbirth, abruptio placentae, and preterm labor.
  • The rate of spontaneous abortion directly varies with the size of subchorionic hematoma and the mother's age. The rate of spontaneous abortion is inversely related to gestational age. The frequency of fetal demise is higher with retroplacental hematoma than with marginal subchorionic hematoma.

No significant racial differences have been reported with subchorionic hemorrhage (subchorionic hematoma).

Bennett et al2 reported that the spontaneous abortion rate in women aged 35 years or older is twice as high as that in younger women. After age 35 years, the first-trimester miscarriage rate reflects maternal age.

Before the fertilized ovum reaches the uterus, the mucous membrane of the body of the uterus increases in vascularity and thickness; it is then called the decidua. The part that covers the ovum is named the decidua capsularis. The portion that intervenes between the ovum and the uterine wall is named the decidua basalis; the placenta subsequently develops here. A small amount of bleeding may result from the implantation of the fertilized ovum in the first trimester.

The chorion consists of 2 layers: an outer layer formed by the trophoblast and an inner layer formed by the somatic mesoderm. The trophoblast undergoes rapid proliferation and forms numerous processes called chorionic villi, which invade the uterine decidua and simultaneously absorb from it nutritive materials for embryonic growth. The chorionic villi increase in size and ramify, while the mesoderm, which carries branches of the umbilical vessels, grows into them; in this way, they are vascularized. Branches of the umbilical arteries carry blood to the villi. After circulating through the capillaries of the villi, the umbilical veins return blood to the embryo.

The placenta connects the fetus to the uterine wall and is the organ by which the nutritive, respiratory, and excretory functions of the fetus are performed. The placenta is composed of fetal and maternal portions. The fetal portion consists of the villi of the chorion, and the maternal portion is formed by the decidua placentalis containing the intervillous space.

Chorionic separation from its site of endometrial attachment can lead to hemorrhaging (hematomas) in various locations in the vicinity of its original implantation. These hematomas are referred to as marginal subchorionic hematomas, in which only the placental margin is separated; retroplacental hematoma, in which bleeding is behind the placenta; and subamniotic (preplacental) hemorrhage, in which a hematoma collects anterior to the placenta and is limited by the umbilical cord.3

Subchorionic hemorrhage (hematoma) is the most common, and preplacental hematoma is the rarest. The incidence of retroplacental hematoma increases in the third trimester.

Most patients with a small subchorionic hemorrhage (subchorionic hematoma) in the first trimester are asymptomatic.4 Common manifestations of subchorionic hematoma are idiopathic premature labor, painless vaginal bleeding, abdominal pain, and threatened abortion in the first or second trimesters.5

Symptoms of third-trimester placental abruption, observed in approximately 1% of gestations, are vaginal bleeding, a painful and tense uterus, fetal distress,6 and disseminated intravascular coagulation. Marginal abruptions are more common than retroplacental abruptions in women with mild clinical symptoms.

Preferred Examination

Ultrasonography is the imaging modality of choice for subchorionic hemorrhage (subchorionic hematoma) because it can be performed rapidly at the patient's bedside and because it has no known risk, as with radiation.7, 8

Limitations of Techniques

The sensitivity of sonography is low and varies between 2% and 20%, as blood may pass vaginally and not collect in the subchorionic space. Hematomas may also appear isoechoic relative to the placenta.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)