Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sick, sick baby....

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:45 AM
  • 9 Replies

My baby girl is sick :( She has awful chest and head congestion, a sore throat and a fever. I've been regulating the fever with tylenol. I have those crappy little loppy pops that are supposed to sooth a sore throat but the're not, the nasal spray and fever patches. NOTHING IS MAKING HER FEL BETTER!! She's been to the doctor already and he said it's a virus and i just have to let it run it's course. I feel so bad for her! I wish there was something else i could do for her. Is they're any medicine you can give a baby to break up the congestion? 

BTW...she's 10 months old

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mommysasha1988
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:48 AM

Give her lots of liquids to flush it out.  BUT I would NOT use the nasal spray.  It can do more harm that good.  JMO. 

I'm a non-married, epidural birthing, breast-milk bottle feeding, co-sleeping, vaccinating, non-circumsizing, disposable diapering kinda mom.  I am a stay-at-home-mom who will rear-face, public school, and spank if necessary.  I'm pro-choice, democratic, athiest, and all for world peace.  I support gay rights, I'm not racist, & I believe we were all created equal.  My son is my life, he makes my heart melt.  So, now that we got that outta the way...it's nice to meet you!
"The moment a child is born, the mother is also born." -Rajneesh
Trying to lose weight?  Already lost it?
Come join
Moms Helping Moms Lose Weight.

geeez
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:50 AM

Trimatic makes patches you can put on her chest to help her breath better, cherry scented.  If you have a humidifier, that may help too.  if she is too young for the patches mix a  little vicks vapor rubinto the water in the humidifier.

mommysasha1988
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:52 AM

Or baby Vicks.  My doctor told me a Vick's plug in & humidifier for my DS.  He's 7 weeks.  Make sure you get a cool mist humidifier.  & the ones that blow mist are the best.  Vicks makes one that works wonders.  But leave her door open when you use it.

Quoting geeez:

Trimatic makes patches you can put on her chest to help her breathbetter, cherry scented.  If you have a humidifier, that may help too.  if she is too young for the patches mix a  little vicks vapor run into the water in the humidifier.

I'm a non-married, epidural birthing, breast-milk bottle feeding, co-sleeping, vaccinating, non-circumsizing, disposable diapering kinda mom.  I am a stay-at-home-mom who will rear-face, public school, and spank if necessary.  I'm pro-choice, democratic, athiest, and all for world peace.  I support gay rights, I'm not racist, & I believe we were all created equal.  My son is my life, he makes my heart melt.  So, now that we got that outta the way...it's nice to meet you!
"The moment a child is born, the mother is also born." -Rajneesh
Trying to lose weight?  Already lost it?
Come join
Moms Helping Moms Lose Weight.

mousesmommy81
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:57 AM

I just took my 7 month old to the doc for the same thing last week. he said to give her Motrin instead of Tylenol and if she has a high fever ( which she hasn't) I can alternate them every 4 hours. I have been running a humidifier in her room. I raised the top pf her mattress. The doctor said to put a few drops of saline in her nose every few hours to help dry it up. Hope you little one feels better soon. Mine is starting to.

jbhaleyrn
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:58 AM

My son just had the same virus!! He was so miserable! Vicks makes a scented plug in that you could put in her room while she sleeps. There's a little pad that you put in a slot and it warms up and gives off the menthol scent. There's no medicine in it. That really helped my son's congestion. Good luck and hope your little one feels better!

jessicer421
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:58 AM

I have a cold air humidifier...I haven't tried to put vicks in it...but i will! Thanks for all your help ladies! We do use Vicks, I think it does help a little, but i hadn't tried putting in there...

jessicer421
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:01 AM

I don't go crazy with it, but she can't breathe out of her nose, therefore she won't eat, and eating is very important (or drinking). We use the suctioner, but she hates it and it's not serving the purpose.

Quoting mommysasha1988:

Give her lots of liquids to flush it out.  BUT I would NOT use the nasal spray.  It can do more harm that good.  JMO. 

stuckinamess
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Awww I know this virus all too well, my 10 year old has it, on top if it she fifths disease, so the rash has covered her whole upper body, including her ears. She is horrified about going to school tomorrow lol..

Tracie
Wife to Khari
Mom to...
Kyra 9
Justice 5
4 Fur Babies...
Taylor, Max, Cleo & Tag

worktodo
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Go in the bathroom with some toys to keep her busy, close the door and turn the shower on hot, then sit and play on the floor with her until the room steams up and she gets eough of the steam in her to break some of that up.  Take the bulb with you too, and try to suction her when she you can.  Good luck, I know it's hard when you feel like there's nothing you can do to make her feel better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)