Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I heard on "Not Just Another Cable News Show"......

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:51 AM
  • 11 Replies

That Mississippi was the most "obese" state and that they passed a law last year forbidding fast food restraunts to serve obese people??? Is this true? If so, have you ever known anyone to enforce it?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
geeez
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:06 AM

I tried snopes.com could not find anything.   maybe someone else will have some luck

AmelieH
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:09 AM

the government trying to prevent people from dying or killing themselves??  not likely

anziomom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:26 AM

IF it is true, they are probably trying to lower medical costs since most obese people are unable to work and tax payers are hit with their "health" bills.

Quoting AmelieH:

the government trying to prevent people from dying or killing themselves??  not likely

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:33 AM

OMG they should so start that here in PA.  Can you imagine pulling up to the drive thru and hearing the guy say "sorry fat ass pull ahead we can't help you"  I would be so skinny!!!  LMAO

laughing

katzmeow726
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:40 AM

I'm TECHNICALLY obese, but I'm very healthy.  I can do a good 30-40 minutes of heavy cardio (well when I'm not pregnant at least..) I can do yoga positions and stretches that always get a surprised eye from "healthy people."  Try pigeon...its a fun one.  I can't do pushups to save my life, but sit ups aren't an issue.  I go for a 30 minute walk a day right now, but pre preggo I could do an hour walk, with about 15 minutes of good jogging. No I'm not in tip top shape.  But my bood pressure is "phenomenal" as my doc puts it, no issuess with diabetes or other "fat" related illnesses. My joints and bones are great, I am VERY strong, and I can do some serious sparring in martial arts.  Mind you I may have to eat my words after the twins are born when I get back to all my usual activities.  But, despite my "weight." I am very healthy.  SO the government can kiss my large a** because I sure as hell don't cost more...my friend who smokes has more health issues than I do!  So if any restaurant in Mississippi refuses to serve me food, they'll have an angry (and right now pregnant) woman on their hands.  I live in Alabama by the way, not 20 minutes from the mississppi state line.  I go over there to visit friends often...so fast food isn't out of the question....gah, I hate peopel sometimes!

anziomom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:48 AM

I don't think its true...How can the kid at the fast food window judge if someone is obese or not? I don't see our govt putting that decision in the hands of teenagers(those who are usually working fast food). And you must know you are an anomoly. When I think obese it is not just overweight, but unable to walk long distances, support themselves and overall normally active. MOST people like that have some major health problems.

Quoting katzmeow726:

I'm TECHNICALLY obese, but I'm very healthy.  I can do a good 30-40 minutes of heavy cardio (well when I'm not pregnant at least..) I can do yoga positions and stretches that always get a surprised eye from "healthy people."  Try pigeon...its a fun one.  I can't do pushups to save my life, but sit ups aren't an issue.  I go for a 30 minute walk a day right now, but pre preggo I could do an hour walk, with about 15 minutes of good jogging. No I'm not in tip top shape.  But my bood pressure is "phenomenal" as my doc puts it, no issuess with diabetes or other "fat" related illnesses. My joints and bones are great, I am VERY strong, and I can do some serious sparring in martial arts.  Mind you I may have to eat my words after the twins are born when I get back to all my usual activities.  But, despite my "weight." I am very healthy.  SO the government can kiss my large a** because I sure as hell don't cost more...my friend who smokes has more health issues than I do!  So if any restaurant in Mississippi refuses to serve me food, they'll have an angry (and right now pregnant) woman on their hands.  I live in Alabama by the way, not 20 minutes from the mississppi state line.  I go over there to visit friends often...so fast food isn't out of the question....gah, I hate peopel sometimes!

katzmeow726
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Actually in some states, they can refuse service voluntarily if they deem a person to be obese.  Its the same thing like in a bar.  IF they determine you to be highly intoxicated, they can refuse alcohol.  And I know I'm an anomoly, but I also know quite a few of people like me.  Not to mention.  That and the employee is supposed to refer to a mangager before refusing service.  SO its not OUT of the question totally.

Quoting anziomom:

I don't think its true...How can the kid at the fast food window judge if someone is obese or not? I don't see our govt putting that decision in the hands of teenagers(those who are usually working fast food). And you must know you are an anomoly. When I think obese it is not just overweight, but unable to walk long distances, support themselves and overall normally active. MOST people like that have some major health problems.

Quoting katzmeow726:

mommommamommyyy
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:53 AM

This was in our paper in the 'News of the Weird' section last year (in PA) but I didn't think the law was actually passed.  People were outraged.

I think it would be too difficult to enforce.  Who gets the say in what qualifies as "obese"?  It's not like they can test their BMI's before they order?

katzmeow726
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Its the same thing how can you judge aperson to be drunk?  It could be a front, or thye could just be tipsy.  But if a bar deems them to be over the limit, they can refuse to serve alcohol WITHOUT a breathalyzer.  Same goes for tattoo studios, if they even THINK you are drunk, they can refuse to work on you.  Stores in some places can also refuse alcohol to a woman they think is pregnant, but you can't always tell!
  They are to refer to a manager, but they don't have to look at BMI.  Its based off of looks alone. sad huh? Its happening in the US now voluntarily at fastfood restaurants, although most don't do it, they don't want to lose money.

Quoting mommommamommyyy:

This was in our paper in the 'News of the Weird' section last year but I didn't think the law was actually passed.  People were outraged.

I think it would be too difficult to enforce.  Who gets the say in what qualifies as "obese"?  It's not like they can test their BMI's before they order?

mommommamommyyy
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:15 AM

I don't necessarily think that it's equivalent to the bartender example.  Whereas fast food will only hurt the person consuming it, drinking even a few alcoholic drinks can hurt others should that person choose to drive afterward.  As for the tattoo studios, again, this isn't really the same- you can clearly tell when someone is drunk- the smell is on them, their eyes are glazed, and they're usually clumsy.  And no matter how much a person has to drink, it's not wise to get a tattoo because of the excessive bleeding it may cause.  I'm not disagreeing with you to cause an argument, this is just my opinion. 

I do agree with you that fast food places won't do this voluntarily because they don't want to lose out on the money. 

Quoting katzmeow726:

Its the same thing how can you judge aperson to be drunk?  It could be a front, or thye could just be tipsy.  But if a bar deems them to be over the limit, they can refuse to serve alcohol WITHOUT a breathalyzer.  Same goes for tattoo studios, if they even THINK you are drunk, they can refuse to work on you.  Stores in some places can also refuse alcohol to a woman they think is pregnant, but you can't always tell!
  They are to refer to a manager, but they don't have to look at BMI.  Its based off of looks alone. sad huh? Its happening in the US now voluntarily at fastfood restaurants, although most don't do it, they don't want to lose money.

Quoting mommommamommyyy:

This was in our paper in the 'News of the Weird' section last year but I didn't think the law was actually passed.  People were outraged.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)