Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is my eight month old underweight???

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:32 AM
  • 44 Replies

I took my eight month old into the doctor's on Friday and the lady was REALLY drilling me on what she was eating, and if she had any problems eating. I told her she has no problem and she takes her formula, canned food, and cheerios just fine. But she didn't believe me. I seriously thought this doctor was going to call CPS on me!
I'm not getting it. She doesn't look underweight...but I know I can't really judge it on her looks. She's 27 inches long and 17 lbs 9 oz. The doctor said she was in the 38 percentile for weight and 25 for height.
I'll be completely honest no one has ever explained to me what exactly these percentages mean. I sort of understand it...but not completely. So I can't really tell if those are bad.
I'm just really worried. I've always been told before by my daughter's old doctor that she is the perfect weight and height. He always said he rarely got kids in his office anymore as right on as she was.

Do you think she's very underweight?

Are you due in September 2009? That join my group: Due in September 2009

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jazzyandpat
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:35 AM

i would say no she isnt.. every child grows differntly. my dd was only 10 plbs at 6months old.

jillbailey26
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:36 AM

The percentage is just a curve.  So out of 100 kids, that is where yours compares.  I would say as far as her height and weight goes, her proportions are fine.  She's not even on the "lowest" end of that curve.  I wouldn't worry about it.  You're feeding her, she's eating, she's growing.  Maybe look up her paperwork from her last visit and at least make sure she gained, even if it's just a little.

~Jill~

Janette81
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:36 AM

She doesn't seem underweight to me at all!  My daughter is 17 months old and just barely 22lbs.

Janette81
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:37 AM

And actually, I noticed w/ all three of my kids that when they hit the months where they started crawling/cruising/walking they seemed to stop gaining weight. (from all the extra movement, I presume).  They all dropped down to the 25th percentile, my son stayed there for awhile, but slowly started coming back up.  It's all relative. :)

kscwrcsmom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:38 AM

That weight is good for her height. Those percent tiles are out of wack because of the rising obesity even in babies. My oldest son is the same way. He is 3 3'5 and only weighs 27 lbs. The doc is always trying to get me to go see a nutritionist. But he eats very well and he is very active so I am not worried at all. As long as she eats well and isnt lethargic I wouldn't worry about her. And tell your doctor to mind his business unless he wants to come spend the day at your house to see exactly how much she does eat.

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to died for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldiers

One died for your soul and the other for your freedom.

shandrarose
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:41 AM

im not saying she is.. some people are just natuarlly smaller than others.. but my 4 month old is sixteen pounds lol he looks like a six month old

mom2ljh
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Your daughter is bigger at 8 months than my son was at 9 months, and boys tend to be BIGGER than girls.
Anyway, the percentiles basically mean, if you kid is in the 38th for weight, that there are 37 kids out of 100 out there lighter than her and 62 out of 100 out there are heavier.  The main thing that doctors like to see is that they're somewhat proportionate or are following their growth curve.
our duaghter's percentiles for height and weight are very close to each other, so unless she's dropped drastically in weight percentiles I don't know what the concern would be.
My son has never been above the 40th for weight, and that was at 6 months old.  Now he's lucky if he's between the 5th and 10th, but his doctor thinks he's fine.  If this doctor is giving you too much grief, find a new one.

Amanda~Cloth Diapering, Non-Spanking, Attached Mommy to my little miracle, Landon Joel, born 6 weeks too soon, 6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, coolest kid on the block!

Then                                           Now

hurleydoll18
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:45 AM

For the length, she sounds fine.  The most important thing is to make sure she is following her own curve.  Every child makes their own curve so, as long as she is following hers, she is fine.  She just sounds petite for her age.  Caleb was around 29 inches and 22ish lbs at that age

cowabunga
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:48 AM

I think she's just fine. My daughter just turned 8 months and is right around 17- 18 lbs and perfectly healthy. If she's healthy and eating well I wouldn't worry about anything. It sounds like your taking good care of her.

Jillayna21
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:52 AM

As long as she has always been gaining, she sounds fine to me.  She is bigger than both of my girls were at a year.  They were both below the 5th percentile for height and weight.  Our pediatrician sent us to a nutrionalist because they were tiny.  I went just to make everyone happy.  The nutrionalist said that it was more important that they were proportional-somehow they compare height and weight on a chart.  One of my girls are proportional the other is still below the numbers she wants.  I don't stress it though, they both eat really well, and have big old round bellies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)